1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are the chances?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MagsC, Aug 21, 2008.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I got a box of eggs from someone today, they tried but I think the po was pretty rough on this box, there were only three eggs that were not crushed.
    I AM going to put them into the incubator, what do you believe are the chances of even one hatching? I would say pretty slim.

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I would candle to check the aircell. If they are not dislodged then I say they have a chance. I got 2 different boxes from the same person. First box had 3 dozen w/9+ smushed, I lost a few along the way but 16 just went into the hatcher, even 1 cracked one. The second batch was 2 dozen and no breaks or cracks, only 4 are developing. Point is ya never really know till you try it [​IMG]

Krista

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thats kind of what I thought, it couldnt hurt to try.[​IMG]

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Okay, I candled, for the first time ever.(I have banty eggs that I will candle in a couple of days, but not yet). I kind of know what I am supposed to be seeing and I dont think this is it? The eggs appeared to have "spots" all over inside. Now does that mean that they were well and truly scrambled? I put them in the bator in case I am totally mistaken, but will keep an eye on them in case they start to smell and will candle again in about a week. If nothing then, I will toss them. My daughter was looking too and saw the same thing. It WAS kind of cool, even if they looked nothing like what I believe they should.[​IMG]

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    The spots are normal, I *think* that means the hen needs more calcium. If they are too porous then most likely they won't develop. I have a lot of "spotty" ones in the bator right now. In the large part of the egg you should see an air cell. It should be fixed, or mostly. As long as it doesn't travel to the side, with the egg on it's side, then it should be ok. Just candle again at day 7, at that point you should see red lines along the inside of the egg, that's the vein network. Good luck!
    Krista

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
  7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks! Yep, we are going to keep them in until day 7. The air cell didnt travel to the side of the eggs, so just maybe....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by