1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Are the Chicken "Must Haves" for 2013?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Whittni, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I've had all sorts of chickens from Silkies to Old English Games to Polish to Marans and more. But the question for this thread is What are the:
    Must Have Breeds for 2013

[​IMG]

For me its,
    • a Frizzle Cochin Bantam
    • a Black Minorica Bantam
    • a Buff Brahma Bantam
    • a Mille Fleur D'Uccle Bantam
    • & a Silver Sebright Bantam Hen

because, I love the way they look and I just want one of each so I can show a variety during the 2013 showing seasons.

So my question for you is, What are your 2013 must haves and why?
    (try to keep the thread interesting by posting pictures of your wanted breeds)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    For me it is the Cubalaya. Why? Well, they are beautiful. But more then that they are a good breed for a low cost food source. They are very good foragers and excellent at predator evasion if raised free ranging. They are a decent egg layer and are a gourmet quality meat bird. I believe that breeds like the Cubalaya will become more popular if the economy continues to get worse, because people will start looking for more practical self sufficient breeds for food production rather then for hobby interest. The American Game is also a good breed for some of the same reasons, but they are not a quality meat bird though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  3. Whittni

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Wow, those are some gorgeous birds! A reason I want a Minorca Bantam is because they do really well in hot weather and it can spike to 113*F here in Southern Utah I also like the way they look,

[​IMG]

4. Betsy57

Betsy57 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Murphysboro IL USA
    Blue Orpington, Buff Brahma, Delaware, Buff Chantecler, Blue Andalusian, Exchequer Leghorn, Blue Hamburg, Blue Ameraucana, Silver Gray Dorking!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Jungleexplorer, do you know what those roosters dress out at?

6. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

The Cubalaya is the other breed I was very interested in (and Silkies) when I first decided to dabble in chicken raising. :) The only reason I decided not to get them is because someone told me I could not own them unless I had high roosts and a warm climate because their tails are long and they'd get too cold close to the ground. [​IMG] I personally think I could have them and they'd be just fine, but unfortunately I've already decided there are breeds out there I would prefer to have instead. I still believe the Cubalaya is a gorgeous bird...they make me think of a "foxchicken" because of their tails and coloring.

7. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    None of the roosters in these pictures are over one year old, so they are not full grown. Cubalayas grow a little slower then other breeds and average around 6 pounds for roosters and 4 pounds for hens at full grown. My stock comes from Jim Zook, who has bred them up to a larger size and his typically weigh a little more then the average at full grown. I have 18 AG roosters ranging from four to nine months old. All of them (except for the Golden Duckwing) are the offspring of the a single AG bbr rooster and many different AG hens (including the ones in the pictures above). Their father is not yet two years old and I would say he weighs around seven pounds or more, but I would have to weigh him to be sure.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thank you

9. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop

Hey Whit. How did you add your flock list to your signature?

10. Whittni

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Click "My Profile" > Scroll down on the page until you see "Your Forum Signature" > "Edit Signature" > Look for a bolded "Quote Sign" and click the icon directly to the right of it, "Spoiler Text" then then will be a Pop-Up where you can edit and input your info.

Let me know if you need a picture guide (not a problem).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by