1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are the colors of muscovies called?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sweetlilbaby, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I am wondering if there are names for some of the colors. Like the blue gray is that considered blue or lavender? White obviously is white. Then what are the color patterns called?

Also how well do they fly? If you clip their wings (the feathers on the wings) will that prevent them from flying out? I would like to allow them to free range a bit this spring/summer. But I live in the city, the park near me has a few Wild muscovies that look similar to one of my females.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    This may help you some. and if you see Scovies in ponds, Lakes or rivers most of the time they were someones duck at one time and flew the coop so to speak, they are prolific breeders and can hatch as much as 20 up in one clutch . they fly very well but drakes have a harder time of it. because of their size and weight. clipping one wing[flight feather] will keep them grounded thats what i do with mine each year after molt. they are great foragers. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Musc/BRKScobies.html

3. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    If they were once owned shouldn't they be called feral ducks not wild? Ohwell, I know the ones at the park you get in trouble for "harassing" them when you use bread to get them to come up to you and give it your best try to catch it. [​IMG]
    I clipped the one wing of all 3 ducks when I first brought them home. I do it to my chickens as well. So far it's kept the ducks down but i haven't even tried to free range them. i'm scared they will fly despite the clipped wing.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes they are feral not wild I think the only ones consider wild and protected are in Texas. why do you get in trouble? I'd think as much as most places don't want them they would be happy for you to take some home.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I clip one wing just make sure you get the whole flight feathers, you can google it and also Metzers web site shows how, I have not had one fly off and we live right above a mountain river. I've had Scovies for going on 9 years now. They can kinda fly but they don't really clipping one wing keeps them off balance. the flying is like flapping real hard and getting a tiny lift for about 1 min. lol

6. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    The park has them considered as wildlife and it's illegal to mess with any wildlife in tacoma WA (where I am). I was threatened with a fine for trying to catch the ducks. they are so pretty though. and I didn't think that there were wild muscovies this far north.
    Mostly I think the park wants them there because they are pretty. They have made a few duck ponds to encourage ducks to stick around.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well thats better than most places, most want them rid of. Ocala Fl. had a bunch killed in one of their public parks a few years ago. So hopefully your park will keep liking them, you might ask if and when they get too over populated if you could possibly adopt some of the ducklings or adults. Maybe keep checking back and keeping an eye on things. And there are no wild Muscovys that far north . as far as the Government thinks the only wild ones are the ones that migrate into Texas from South America the rest are considered invasive but don't tell the park service that. [​IMG]

8. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I will see if they want to adopt some out in the future. But the population seems to stay really low. I wonder if the raccoons and feral cats are keeping the population low. I know Raccoons will raid a nest and eat all the eggs.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats a possibility, there is a nice park on the way to TSC about 25 miles from our home and I usually don't want to even ride by there because of all the ducks that are dumped there, mostly Pekin well we went by there last Friday and there wasn't 1 duck on the lake, I don't know if they have someone come and get them or if something happened other wise but there wasn't any. None walking around on the land either. Maybe if you stay in touch or give them your name and # they will contact you if they want to find home for any. Raccoons and stray dogs are the worst enemies of ducks and ducklings. I hope one day you can bring some home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by