What are the cons?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Obadiah, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah New Egg

Jan 18, 2010
    Hello everyone, I've been reading about everything I can about chickens to learn as much as possible before I get my hens. The thing I've noticed is the abundance of talk about the joys of having hens. If it's possible, can you please list for me some of the cons of having them? The cleaning involved with having hens isn't an issue for me nor is the cost of buying feed and any needed meds as that is expected of any animal/pet/family member. Thanks in advance.

2. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    The cons ..... its way too addicting! I just wanted a couple chicks now have 16 hens, 9 chicks and 20 in the bator! My DB is always building me something to do with chickens - that started out: " i just want a few hens".
    [​IMG]

3. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    Con:
    Your hen turning out to be a rooster.
    A rooster who crows at 4 a.m.
    A rooster who crows at 4 a.m. that likes to attack you.
    A rooster who crows at 4 a.m. that likes to attack you, that you eventually have to take out back with an axe.
    A rooster who crows at 4 a.m. that likes to attack you, that you eventually have to take out back with an axe, then your husband comes home from work to ask where's my rooster?
    A rooster who crows at 4 a.m. that likes to attack you, that you eventually have to take out back with an axe, then your husband comes home from work to ask where's my rooster, only to realize his rooster is disguised in a cheese sauce with veggies on his dinner plate.

4. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    and, I totally agree 100% addicting!! They are such sweet smart loving little pets! I love my girls but my two roo's are the best! [​IMG]

The eggs are so special....it's their little gift to me for being a good chickie momma! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the cons depend a bit on your goals, the breed your set up...But too many roosters is the biggest problem with chicken keeping if you don't intend to eat them. Other than that, I would say that selecting a breed that's right for what you want the chickens for you is important. You can aviod the rooster problem by buying sexed female chicks from a hatchery.

8. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Only to realize his rooster is disguised in a cheese sauce with veggies on his dinner plate.

I missed something... what is the "con" there... hehehehe I love cheese...

Well you stated the obvious.

Cleaning- Keeping chickens clean enough for suburban living is time consuming. and kinda gross. I have 16 hens and they generate a lot of poo.
    Cost of food- I'm thinking each of my eggs is worth about 5.00 a piece
    as some one mentioned... addiction. do not discount addiction, its real.
    Worry- about neighbors, dogs, coons, opossums, flies!, are they tucked in at night, is my fortress strong enough to keep my babies safe etc, etc etc.​

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  9. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    They smell.

Oh, you get used to it, and it's not much if you keep the coop clean. But they do smell. And cleaning the coop so they don't smell is a pain. And if you don't feel well, you still have to drag yourself out and supply them with food and water.

If you handle them, you will get pooped on. I think it may be how they show affection.

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They poop on the deck.
    I really don't care about the yard, but when they poop on the deck it's bad. We fence them off of it for the most part, but there's always that one big.....yeah.
    You get into the practice of scraping your shoes REALLY well, or just taking them off before coming inside!

They escape sometimes coz they can fly, or roost in trees above your head, and can be hard to get them back in a timely fashion. Never been a huge problem for us, but....it *could* be if you neighbors want to be picky about an escaped bird in their yard, or if they have a chicken killing dog. They are harder to keep in my back yard than my dog --- even with clipped wings. They squeeze under the fence, or the gap between the gate and the post.....ANY little space they will try to get through it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by