What are the cutest breeds of chickens? Funniest breeds etc.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mommyof4littles, Jan 24, 2009.

1. mommyof4littles

mommyof4littles Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    My neighbor kids (there are alot) come visit my chickens all summer and I was hoping to get a better assortment this year to add to the ones I have. I have a super soft (huge) buff orpington(BO), a medium sized gold laced crested polish who is non bearded (I think some are not sure), a Serama cockerel and a Serama hen. I was thinking a silky or some bantams. Eggs are nice but with 21 a week right now in the dead of winter I imagine we will always have more than enough. My coop will be 10 by about 3-4 sq foot. My Seramas are 8-9" (cock) and 6-7"(hen) They will have a very large outdoor run and the seramas will spend the winter inside (we have spent a month well below 0 degrees f.) Any ideas? thanks!

2. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    We have mostly meat birds but also a few just because they're beautiful. Our neatest one is a little Ancona hen. I acquired her at a local farmer's auction. She is about the size of a leghorn and was originally bred for egg laying so lays a lot of eggs. She is a very fetching little thing. Cute as a bugs ear and very animated with lots of little squeeks and funny noises. The kids would love her. I plan on getting more.

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Some of my most fun hens are my little mixed breeds. Boots has such a fun loving goofy personality. She is an Arucana/Cochin mix with the no tail, tufts, and then feathered feet. Everybody loves her. She like to sit on my shoulder and comes running over every time I go down to the barn unlike any other my other chickens who are happy to see me but don't come running over begging to be picked up.

4. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I am a huge fan of the mille fleur bantams. I have found them to be pretty amusing little birds. A little bird with a big bird attitude LOL! They are good little layers, very hardy in the winter and very good broodies. They free range well. I am very bias as they are my all time fave poultry. Another bonus is they are very pretty with all the white speckles and etc.

5. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Our little auraucana hen Lady was a hoot also. I have to say my my polish are the goofiest though!! They are just crazy!

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:Yeah, my next chicken behind Boots in personality is Floyd the Milli on my mare in my avatar photo. He is super gentle. I would trust him in the arms of a child where some of my other roosters are not mean but not as trustworthy with a small child either. He loves to fly up and ride around on the horse's back esp. my one mare.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Personality: I've got some Barred Rocks that are crack ups!

One is named Queenie and she is in everyone's business all the time, another one my 14 year old named the Devil'd Barred Rock because she is just plain mean!

Our white leghorn Cottontail is just an eating machine and she is the tiniest chicken but lays the largest jumbo white eggs.

Buffy our BO just loves to be under my feet at all times. (Or to be held or petted) When I'm out there I have to watch my step.

We just rehomed our Red Star... she thought she was a rooster even though she laid 5 eggs a week. But her crow was just annoying.

Our CA white X porcelain D'Uccle (Mopsy)is the dust bath machine... she can did a hole very fast and then loves covering herself in dirt. Sometimes you wonder if it's really her... she gets dirty so fast.

8. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I think kids would really like d'Uccles (mille fleurs are one variety of d'Uccle). They are very pretty, they are pretty easy to find, and they have amusing personalities.

My d'Uccles are named Lavergne and Shirley, because that's how they sound when they talk. And they do talk a lot! [​IMG] I've got some more on order for this spring. [​IMG]

9. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    The d'Uccles are a neat bird. d'Anvers, especially the quail, are really sweet. For unusual looks there are naked necks, and one of my favorites, the modern game bantam. All are small, compact birds.

10. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    you NEED a frizzled silkie....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by