what are the dangers to baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sabina, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Sabina

Sabina Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2014
    london
    i have a baby chick which stays with its mother. i am worried that a bird might come and take the chick. can anyone tell me any animals, birds or hazards which can kill a chick? and i want to buy something which can protect the chick. i have made everything safe but i need to take precaution. any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi my top tip would be buy a covered run for your hen and chick. I don't know what you have down in London but up here in Yorkshire we have hawks, buzzards and the main problem FOXES. :mad:. They have real cheek up here even out during the day. I lost my entire flock back in the spring thinking I was fox proof but was clearly not. Have made some severe security measures since then. Also I triple check all coops at bed time because the one night you don't they will be in. Good luck with your hen and chick:frow

3. MY1235

MY1235 New Egg

Aug 20, 2014
    Northeast ohio
    Raccoons. They're crafty and will kill your whole flock in a few minutes if they get in a coop. They're mostly only a problem at night though. Predator control is the best thing I do to keep my chickens safe.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Snakes, rats, cats, foxes, large birds like blue jays and such, squirrels, hawks- I believe you have all of those where you live, correct? Just about everything likes to eat chicken, no matter how small and cute they are [​IMG]

5. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Squirrels will eat chicks? Never heard of such a thing [​IMG][​IMG]

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yup, especially when they're rearing young...

7. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Good to know! Thanks

8. Sabina

Mar 8, 2014
    london
    how can I avoid birds swooping down and taking the chicks? (this is something I'm terribly worried about)

9. Sabina

Mar 8, 2014
    london
    great advice thanks a lot! [​IMG]

10. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    The only way you can keep your chicks safe from swooping birds is by keeping them in an enclosed run or if you have something larger put netting over the top. Maybe try a scarecrow or old CDs on a string over them. Hope this helps and good luck with our chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by