What are the four best egg laying breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MissBay, Jun 13, 2011.

1. MissBay

MissBay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    I got Rhode Island Reds, Delawares, Buff Orpingtons, and Barred Rocks.
    I just want to make sure that I got the right egg laying breeds.

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    all very good layers

3. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    I would throw thw Ancona breed into the mix,as they are non-stop layers.

4. Lightfoote

Lightfoote Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Quote:Those are each known for productive egg-laying. Did you consider the Black Australorp?

A B.A. hen is documented/on record in Australia as producing 364 eggs in a 365 day year. Eggshell colour is a brown, variable from very light to medium dark (not nearly as dark as Marans eggshells). Golden Comets are also good egg-laying hen.

Lightfoote

5. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Don't forget Leghorn. Unless white eggs are not desirable to you.

My 2-year-old Leghorn took a couple of months off to molt and came back strong. My 2-year-old Production Red continues laying while molting. The shell from Red is noticeably thinner while Leghorn shell is still thick.

My 10-month-old Black Australorp is rather sensitive. She would halt production at any slight disturbance. When I stopped the winter morning light, she stopped for over a week. Now they are in a larger coop with some new pullets, she has not produced for 4 weeks.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:I like this group and have them all.

Leghorns and Golden Comets are good BUT. Unless you eat a lot of eggs you'll want a breed that lays not as much as fast.

Production/Hybrids lay a lot of eggs over a short period of time. Where as heritage/purebreds lay the same amount over a longer period of time. This according to Practical Poultry magazine.

I wish you the best with whatever breeds you choose.

rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by