What are the geese doing?

Rhyahcf

Chirping
Sep 9, 2017
hi,
We had 13 geese that came with a property we bought this last summer. The previous owner had no shelter for them, just said they are fine outside on the 3 acre pond. Well with the pond freezing over the last couple weeks, something finally got two of them last night. Now tonight we heard one of them honk so ran out to see if there was a coyote and found 4 of them huddled up in the driveway, one sitting alone behind our house, one sitting alone in the middle of the pond, one sitting in the woods alone and one sitting in our east field alone and 3 are MIA. It’s almost like they made a circle around the huddled group. Is this some type of instinctual protective strategy. Are they separated like this to draw attention away from the entire flock? Are they protecting the group of huddled ones somehow? We have 66 acres, so the solo ones are really out there all alone. Usually they are always together. We have tried to herd them into the barn and they flew away. We tried to herd the huddled group into the garage and they flew away. It’s pretty obvious they are freaked out though. We have seen fox, coyote, and owls since moving here, and we are thinking coyote is the culprit. But why are they suddenly separating apart like they are?

Most likely a predator scattered them. They don't see well in the dark at all, so the further away ones may have trouble getting back with the flock without light (or assistance) - the honking may be them calling to each other. The huddling of the ones who are together is a protective/flocking thing. Poor geese!

It's annoying, but if you can keep them from the pond and wait until dusk or near dark, you might find them easier to herd into the barn, if you haven't tried at that time of day yet. If you manage it, maybe feed them in the morning so they start to learn that barn = food/warmth/safety.

It sounds like something had a go at them and they scattered and are now scared. Something has found a source of food and it's going to come back again and again. You really need to get them into the barn if possible. Can you bribe them in there with their food tomorrow?

I once had the same problem my female goose panicked an managed to get into my neighbours back garden and they were waking up the village with the honking luckily there was a gate connecting the two so with difficulty we managed to get them into our field my advice is to have one person at each goose and try to herd them to safety. Although I am not an expert its happened to me twice .

B084C6F7-A341-45E6-B45C-D58896E6202F.jpeg 37DCE996-2A69-478B-AB69-128FE5C12B01.jpeg Ok thank you. We will try to get them into the barn again some time today until the pond thaws out. This morning all 11 were back together again, so they managed to make it. One did come back with noticeable injuries to his neck that weren’t there yesterday, so I don’t think it’s from an aggressive goose. We are gonna build something ASAP for them, but won’t be before the pond thaws.

Lucky you. Amazing you got most of them back. Looks like the one was picked up and carried off. Was either fighting for was too heavy and was ultimately dropped.
My geese will do anything for Romaine. Bait them into the barn and lock them up. I wouldn't even let them out during the day until you come up with something. Poultry netting or cattle panels can make a safe day pen in an hour or two.

Oh, that poor goose! Definitely looks like a predator did this. Will he allow you to look closer and perhaps put an anti-bacterial on any wounds?

I will try when my husband gets home to pick him up and see if I can get some neosporin on it. I actually don’t see any blood, just raw area on the neck there. We are above freezing slightly today so they are all swimming in a small section of ice we broke apart. He seems to be ok.

Lucky you. Amazing you got most of them back. Looks like the one was picked up and carried off. Was either fighting for was too heavy and was ultimately dropped.
My geese will do anything for Romaine. Bait them into the barn and lock them up. I wouldn't even let them out during the day until you come up with something. Poultry netting or cattle panels can make a safe day pen in an hour or two.

Yes, we were surprised to see them all waddle up. We’re thinking when I heard them start honking and we ran out there we maybe startled whatever grabbed him and he dropped him or the goose was able to use the distraction to get away. Becasue after we walked around a bit we went driving through the property too with our gun but didn’t see anything. We had 5 coyotes run through Thanksgiving Day, right past our back door, so we’re thinking they are the culprit. Our trail cams haven’t picked up a darn thing though. Not even the one facing the pond caught anything. Just the geese walking around. We’re actually gonna try to get them into our daughter’s wooden playhouse because it’s solid construction that my husband built and is raised off the ground a bit and has an outer lock. I’m fixing to go animal proof the one window cutout now. I think they will go in there if I throw food into it. We are not farmers in any sense of the word. This is all new to us. We bought the property to start an equipment business but these geese have waddled their way into our hearts. Lol

Back
Top Bottom