What are the genetics for Blue laced red?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silverfilly, Sep 15, 2009.

1. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Hello group, I was thinking about starting a new project and I am woundering what the gentics are for a blue laced red? Since I bought the polish egs was going to try and get a BLR polish?

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Blue laced red polish

Genes for secondary color pattern only

birchen E^R/E^R, Columbian Co/Co, Mahogany Mh/Mh, dark brown/melanotic/pattern are linked Db-Ml-Pg/Db-Ml-Pg, heterozygous blue Bl/bl+, sex linked gold s+/s+

If you want mahogany in your polish you will have to out cross.

1. Cross a splash or blue male with gold laced females to get started or cross a gold laced male to females that are blue or splash.

2. Then back cross the best blue female offspring to a gold laced male or cross the best blue male offspring to female gold laced.

3. Pick a blue male bird from cross #2 with the best breast lacing and cross him with gold laced females- hatch a bunch of eggs and you should get some blue laced red birds.

The birds will not be red because of the Db genes effect and the blue will tend to dilute the red. You will need the mahogany to make the red darker. The best you can do will be to produce a buff bird laced with blue.

Tim

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Tim,

I am trying a blue laced red with true araucanas. Your post helps but can I pick your brain in the future? I want to get some photos of my project birds and ask what you and the rest of our genetics experts think.

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Works for me. If I do not answer on the forum, send me an email or a pm. I may be starting a new job and if so will be gone quit a bit. I am sure that other individual will pitch in. I will be working with blue lacing and lavender lacing in the near future.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by