What are the genetics in this feather pattern please?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by WildType, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Could anyone please tell me the genetic makeup of this feather pattern? The bird is an absolute mutt and every one of this bird's siblings look completely different.
    Does this pattern have a name? I cant find any reference to the pattern among pure-breed standards, so would I be right in thinking that it only occurs where genes are not in identical pairs?
    ahwlia for comment.JPG

Attached Files:

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    SO PRETTY :th:thI have never seen that color either, so I would assume it's not a recognized variety. However, I definitely see some Wyandotte in that hen!! Maybe it's some form of Blue Laced red? Hopefully someone better at genetics can help you out.

ValerieJ likes this.
  4. I think she's pretty. Her father was the crossbreed Gold Lace Wyandotte shown in my avatar.

5. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    My Coop
    It is a mixed color, not likely to breed true.

featheredplanets likes this.
  6. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Enabler

Nov 8, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I'd almost venture to say an incomplete blue laced red. What your bird has can only be produced by mixed parentage but blue laced read is quite similar, and while not breeding true (because of the blue) it has purebred parents.

7. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    Can you post a picture of her parents and siblings? I am curious to see how that pattern came about. She's beautiful! Almost makes me think she has wheaten in her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: