1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are the little bumps on eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MyChickpeas, Feb 25, 2009.

1. MyChickpeas

MyChickpeas Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    Schuyler, VA
    I've had someone tell me that if an egg has those little bumps on it's shell that means that it is fertile. I'm pretty sure this isn't the case but what are those bumps anyway?

2. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    lol No, not fertile eggs. [​IMG] It could be lice eggs or just little bumps. One of our girls laid fine eggs, until 1 day they had clusters of little bumps on them and they've been that way every since. But I would check for lice incase. It could also be extra calcium.

3. MyChickpeas

MyChickpeas Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    Schuyler, VA
    It's definately not lice eggs, I looked up the pics and man was that gross! [​IMG] The bumps seem to be connected and made of the shell material. Perhaps the calcium like you suggested.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Calcium deposits on the eggshell.

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    A pic would help...but they do sound like calcium deposits....harmless.

6. peacemaam

peacemaam Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Minot, ND
    Like this? I was wondering the same thing, I'm new to chickens. My girls just started about a month ago and every once in a while I get an egg like this, I'm thinking maybe giving them too many "treats" they get a hand full of durum, handful of scratch and whatever veggies or fruits everyday.. :/ I know I spoil them [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it's just excess calcium.

8. peacemaam

peacemaam Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Minot, ND
    Thank you, I figured. My husband will freak out and say I didn't get all the poop off and won't eat it :/ he is a cry baby :D

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by