1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are the main characteristics of rooster vs hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mommysongbird, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    What should I look for in our 2 week old chicks as far as trying to figure out their sex?

I have been watching their combs and they are slowly coming in and some chicks have larger combs already. But what else can/should I look for?

2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Honestly, at 2 weeks, it's a bit tough. It's easier to wait another few weeks and look at feather development.

3. macadam8157

macadam8157 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    NC, Raleigh
    Quote:Can you go in more detail on this as to what to look for in "feather development"??

4. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Can you go in more detail on this as to what to look for in "feather development"??

X2 and what else to look for?

5. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Hackle feathers on roos are usually longer, with pointed ends. Pullets usually have hackles that are a bit shorter with more rounded ends. Roos have longer, pointed saddle feathers that hang down, and of course the tail feathers are longer and the sickle feathers are curved downwards. If they are slow in feathering, you may have to wait a while, but probably in another 4 weeks you'll really be able to tell. The combs and wattles will be more telling at that time too. It's just too confusing at 2 weeks to try to figure it out. They kinda all look the same, they all peck, they all chest bump each other. . . unless you know how to sex by wing feather tips or vent sex (and there are few people who do), you'll drive yourself crazy trying to guess at 2 weeks of age.

6. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Quote:I agree! But I have 1 that is hen featherd. But as he grew, he told me and everyone else what he is.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some also say that the males' legs are thicker, the females more slim and dainty. Of my silkie chicks, the one who I've been most suspicious of (of being a cockerel) has definite "cankles." Its leg at the ankle joint on up is far thicker than the other chicks...
    But I agree that most chicks' sex becomes pretty apparent by 4-5 weeks. Hang in there...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by