What are the main determining factors for sexing chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by plantmgr, Aug 17, 2010.

1. plantmgr

plantmgr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    I've heard so many ways of determining sexes in chickens(before the inevitable cock o doodle doo). Roosters have pointy hackle feathers, hens have rounded. Roosters have redder combs and the obvious colorful tail feathers (when they come in). What I'm wondering is: which is the most important? I've been staring at hackle feathers for weeks. My chicks are EEs so they have little bitty pea combs - not real easy to tell there. And, some of the ones with the biggest reddest combs have rounded hackle feathers!!! They are 8 weeks old, and I'm still staring. I change my mind on some of them daily. If my camera was not BROKEN, I would have pictures on here for you all to comment on. Any takers?

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I can sex chicks at 2 wks old. Roosters grow alot slower then hens do. The females will have their tail feathers and wing feathers in and stuff and the roosters on the other hand will just have their wing feathers in! haha
    Pretty easy and + the roosters will start to fight with your fingers and the pullets will squat on the ground,all you have to do is put your finger on their back and kind of press down and if it's hen she'll squat down for ya!

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:EE are the hardest (for me anyway) to sex! I had a terrible time trying to figure them out.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:EE are the hardest (for me anyway) to sex! I had a terrible time trying to figure them out.

I know! EES and Silkies ... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by