What are the main uses for Coturnix (Japanese) quail? Meat, eggs, training dogs, or just pleasure?

Scooter&Suzie

Songster
9 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I've been thinking about getting Coturnix quail, just as pets, but was wondering, what are their main uses? They make tiny meat and tiny eggs, but then again, don't eat much and grow quickly. I see so many people who raise Coturnix quail in large amounts - Surely they can't all be pets! I was thinking it might be nice to raise them for a purpose, such as meat or eggs, and sell the extras, or even raise more for profit. Or to help pay for the chickens' feed...
hu.gif
I've also heard of people using quail to train dogs to hunt, or something similar, but those tend to be Bob White, right? It is going to kill me until I find out...

They're used as secret CIA operatives. Quail can travel to any country, speak any language, and never be noticed. Everyone who has pet quail secretly works for GFgjfFsjfn5s > > dfnHsnsjf8s1dkfry4eryry.encoded.destruct.message.end001

Last edited:
goodpost.gif
When I got mine the purpose was for meat and the cute little eggs. Nearly 5 months later, I still haven't butchered any of them, and out of 34 I get about 2 eggs a day, lol. My little neice is the only one who cares for the eggs, so I hard boil them for her, and she gets a kick out of them. I pickled some for Christmas, and they were a hit on the relish tray. I have Jumbo browns, which are pretty skittish and A &M (lets not start on the"are they REAL A&M" here) they are more quiet but hard to tell if they are boys or girls. When I DO butcher, they will probably all go, and most of my brown males. They sure are cute though. I was out doing chores this am, and they were chirping at me like little crickets. Can't wait to eat them :)

Last edited:
I forgot to mention- they dont EAT that much, but they sure waste food if you aren't careful and put something underneath the feeder. As for dog training, I dont think they are much good. My AM's never try to get out, and the browns will fly out like little helicopters and when they hit the ground my lab is right there to herd them. they just sit there. As for profit, I have no idea- I haven't tried to sell them, but a farmer near me is always trying to get rid of them for a buck a piece...not a big market where I am. I imagine if you advertise the eggs you'd be able to sell them, esp if there is an oriental restaurant near you. They use them in alot of thier cooking.

goodpost.gif
When I got mine the purpose was for meat and the cute little eggs. Nearly 5 months later, I still haven't butchered any of them, and out of 34 I get about 2 eggs a day, lol. My little neice is the only one who cares for the eggs, so I hard boil them for her, and she gets a kick out of them. I pickled some for Christmas, and they were a hit on the relish tray. I have Jumbo browns, which are pretty skittish and A &M (lets not start on the"are they REAL A&M" here) they are more quiet but hard to tell if they are boys or girls. When I DO butcher, they will probably all go, and most of my brown males. They sure are cute though. I was out doing chores this am, and they were chirping at me like little crickets. Can't wait to eat them :)

Oh wow... Do they not lay well, then? Or is it just because of winter?

I'm not sure why 34 don't lay well. Unless 32 are boys.

They are fun and sweet birds. We keep them for eggs but we do eat them as well when they are about 8 weeks old and I identify which males I don't want for breeding purposes. I used to keep them as pets and they are pretty sweet. You can train them (depending upon the individual personality of the bird). I've had some come running to me, some investigate for treats, some completely ignore me, some run and hide.

Coturnix would not make good dog training birds. Too docile. Bobwhites are used for training and hunting.

It does take a certain change in mind set to go from "pet" to "livestock". I have pets and I have livestock and I've had livestock become pets, but not the other way around!

I'm not sure why 34 don't lay well. Unless 32 are boys.

They are fun and sweet birds. We keep them for eggs but we do eat them as well when they are about 8 weeks old and I identify which males I don't want for breeding purposes. I used to keep them as pets and they are pretty sweet. You can train them (depending upon the individual personality of the bird). I've had some come running to me, some investigate for treats, some completely ignore me, some run and hide.

Coturnix would not make good dog training birds. Too docile. Bobwhites are used for training and hunting.

It does take a certain change in mind set to go from "pet" to "livestock". I have pets and I have livestock and I've had livestock become pets, but not the other way around!

Yeah, I'm afraid that they may become pets. But I DO have my 9 chickens who are all pets. My family doesn't see the point in having 8 hens (1 is a rooster) and only getting about three eggs a day. They have been talking about having chicken for diner or making chicken soup... Uh oh!

I could also make a small pen for a few of my favorites, if I feel the urge to have more pets :p I might have a couple pens - One for meat and one for eggs. Then I can make sure not to get on friendly terms with the ones for meat.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

I like the way you put that. I've had the same experience.

I was getting 8-10 eggs a day in the fall. We do not use artificial lights on them, so I assume the lack of eggs is due to the shorter days. (I got 4 yesterday). I know there are alot of roos too...hence the need to invite some to dinner. at least half of my browns are males. They are easy to sex. The A&M are so hard to tell though, and they were just reaching maturity before the decline in eggs, so I can't tell who is who. I can't decide if I want to wait until breeding season and try to figure it out, or just butcher all of them (the A&M) and just raise the browns.

Back
Top Bottom