What are the MUST KNOW basics of raising chickens (from chick to adult)?

All4Eggz

Jesus Loves You🌵
Apr 23, 2021
Massachusetts
A relative that lives down south is coming to visit tomorrow. He says he wants to get started with raising chickens, and asked that I tell him all the "MUST KNOW basics".
I want to make sure that I cover everything and don't forget EXTREMELY important aspects of raising chickens.
He is planning on getting chicks either very soon, or after winter. Down south their winters can get as low as 32 degrees F, rarely in the 20's.

What do YOU feel is very important for a beginner to know? (You can make a list with bullet points if you'd like).

What beginner breeds do YOU think are best? (I was thinking barred rocks, easter eggers, leghorns)
They are mainly looking for dual purpose birds (meat + eggs)

What do you feed your chickens, and what do you believe is the best feed? (from hatch, all the way to adulthood)

He will be purchasing chicks from TSC, so he is only able to get breeds that will be available there. Does anyone know what month TSC stops selling chicks? I'm not sure if it's different down there (SC), but here in MA, they have stopped selling chicks in August.
If he is not able to get chicks from TSC, what online hatcheries would you recommend (affordable)?

Thanks in advance for any response

Last edited:
With full respect, your friend should be asking you for tips and tricks from your experience- and you should point him to here where he can find answers to literally any chicken-related question he could search for. For him to expect any of us (you included) can give a full list of how to be a chickener, well that is like me coming over and being like hey I want to remodel my kitchen, give me the full list of everything I need to do. :)

Encourage him to sign up here to ask questions, or the articles are always freely available even without a membership on the forum. Just way too much to expect a compiled list here, so better for him to read some of the well thought out articles already posted here, to start out.

As far as breeds, EEs aren't dual purpose (mine are quite skinny). I don't shop at TSC so don't know what breeds to advise to look for. Actually I'd advise he consider getting chicks next spring, when temperatures are more agreeable to brooding and so he has time to build a coop and run BEFORE getting chicks.

I don't believe in a "best feed" - what you can get fresh that meets your needs is the best feed. Like I only feed local and organic brands but maybe that's not something he believes in. If you're looking for a feed that's good for all ages, an all flock type crumble would be optimal.

the "MUST KNOW basics"
Appropriate food, clean water, protection from the environment, and protection from predators. Those can change with age and we have many different opinions on how to do any of them. We are all different. There is no one way to go about any of those that is best for everyone.

What beginner breeds do YOU think are best? (I was thinking barred rocks, easter eggers, leghorns)
They are mainly looking for dual purpose birds (meat + eggs)
Any if the standard dual purpose breeds. Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Delaware, Orpington, Rocks, Wyandttes, Buckeyes, Chantecler, or Sussex off the top of my head but I'm sure I'm forgetting many. We all have our personal preferences. Some people will love a breed while someone else hates the same breed.

What do you feed your chickens, and what do you believe is the best feed? (from hatch, all the way to adulthood)
Again many different opinions on this. My preference is a Grower with oyster shell on the side but many prefer other things. All Flock or Flock Raiser are popular choices for a dual purpose flock.

He will be purchasing chicks from TSC, so he is only able to get breeds that will be available there.
The best thing is to talk to the local Tractor Supply or other feed stores. Different Tractor Supplies or other feed stores have different people managing them. It is a common misconception that every Tractor Supply is exactly like every other. They are not. And there are other feed stores.

If he is not able to get chicks from TSC, what online hatcheries would you recommend
There are a huge number of hatcheries out there. I personally don't especially trust a fairly new hatchery. Many have been in business for generations and are often family businesses. Those are the ones I trust.

I agree the best thing you can do is get them registered on here and start reading articles in the "Articles" section at the top of this page. And encourage them to ask specific questions.

They need to determine their goals. What do they want their chickens to do for them? It needs to be more specific than eggs and meat. How many eggs? How much meat? Do they plan to buy baby chicks for meat or will they hatch every year? To get much meat they will probably need an incubator or but specific meat birds.. Will they free range and forage or buy everything they eat? Instead of a dual purpose breed they may decide they want an egg laying breed and buy meat bird chicks. Lots of people go that route.

There are a lot of things they don't know to ask yet. That comes from reading articles and chatting with us when we answer their questions. There are so many different ways they could go about this and we have forum members that try all of them.

Encourage him to sign up here to ask questions, or the articles are always freely available even without a membership on the forum. Just way too much to expect a compiled list here, so better for him to read some of the well thought out articles already posted here, to start out.

As far as breeds, EEs aren't dual purpose (mine are quite skinny). I don't shop at TSC so don't know what breeds to advise to look for. Actually I'd advise he consider getting chicks next spring, when temperatures are more agreeable to brooding and so he has time to build a coop and run BEFORE getting chicks.

I don't believe in a "best feed" - what you can get fresh that meets your needs is the best feed. Like I only feed local and organic brands but maybe that's not something he believes in. If you're looking for a feed that's good for all ages, an all flock type crumble would be optimal.
Great ideas. Thank you ❤️

Would you be able to link a few articles that you think are helpful?

Last edited:
Great ideas. Thank you ❤️

Would you be able to link a few articles that you think are helpful?
Assuming your friend is literate in English, sign him up on BYC, go to articles (page icon on tool bar), go to Learning center. Literally everything you need to know from minimalist to obsessive compulsive luxery chicken compunds. Use the search feature, pick a key word of interest and look for related articles or threads that have already been addressed many times over. Good luck.

Looks like everything I would have said, has been said.

What should the dimensions of the coop be (he is planning to build it himself), if they are trying to get 15-20 chickens?
General guide for each standard size chicken
4 sf of coop
10 sf of run
1 linear foot of roost
1/4 -1/3 nest box (minimum two for choices)
Always go as big as you can.

1) Sign up here.

2) Ask lots of questions

3) Start settling on breeds to buy in Spring

4) Plan the coop

5) Ask questions here about said coop plans

6) Start building the coop

7) Read up here while taking a break from building.

8) Reconsider goals, tighten breed focus

9) Buy birds

10 Ask more questions here.

We are happy to help, and definitely opinionated. ;)

11* Expect that things won't go as planned/expected, and that goals WILL change.

/edit having read responses to some of these above, I'm going to expand on some of these answers later. But busy working outside right now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom