What are the odds/ and or chance that Canadian Geese will fly off from home ground and migrate first fall of their hatch. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redtail11

Chirping
Jan 28, 2019
Redlands, CA
Hi everyone. I hatched and raised two Southern California born Canadians. They came from the wild where their parents reside and stay year round at a local hospital,,As I’ve been told at least... I was not located there long enough to find out if their parents took off after nesting season.

I am licensed in rehabilitations and also a licensed falconer so I am very aware of how it all works with the law. They are the larger subspecies.
Anyway I became their quick new parent when they were just freshly laid eggs in nest. I got a call that both parents, along with other waterfowl, fish etc .. were poisoned in a freak accident that contaminated all the hospitals lakes and killed everything overnight.
You see, I know much about these birds but I also know that someone else out there knows more. Hence why I am going into so much detail on how these birds were raised, what their parents did plus more. I want someone with a response that has worked with these birds their whole life and sees the real side to them and not just their facts and traits of what most of them do like MOST of us already know also.
Continuing on, the birds hatched in my room a month later less than 50 miles away from their wild parents home/nesting site. I kept them in my room 2 feet away from my bed which is only 10 inches off the ground for almost 53-59 days with the enclosure beginning at the size of a bathtub increasing over time to about a king size mattress. They stayed in my room all nights and about 60 percent of the day when they were in the first two weeks. This lessened to 30 percent towards the 50-60 day mark. I was with them at least 60 percent of that and it has stayed without change for my time with them. When they weren’t in my room I was Taking them outback and letting them be the wild geese they are meant to be but always by their side. Never left them alone. Our yard is 5 acres very green and has 2 ponds which they have always been allowed on daily since birth. No traffic or fast streets nearby. It is a calm neighborhood that is old school and no clutter between homes. I have given them the diet of a wild goose along with a few extra special veggies and fruits they may not find in the wild. They are now 16-17 weeks in age. Ever since the 60 day mark they were placed and still remain in a 30x30 square foot pen, 12 ft high. They spend every night in this pen now because we have many nocturnal predators that like to get in the water and swim. Daily walk, eat, fly, swim access to the full 5 acres is at least 4 hours a day. As in you are wild you can leave whenever you please. Nobody or thing will stop you. They lightly fly around the property and do not seem interested at all in flying for the next state over. They are still to young for that and I know it will come to their minds in a matter of time. But will they ? Obviously this is a very simple question and a crazy asinine post about such a question! I get it! trust me, nobody is going to have a factual yes or no answer. Most people are going to think I’m crazy haha. Bottom line is I am looking for people out there that know these birds like I know hawks and falcons. There is so much more to say and to weigh out. Realization and unreal never heard stories have no limit if you love something in your lifestyle instead of loving alongside it. If you are this person then you get me 💯 %

To add some more ..These geese I have come into my home office from the outdoors without me knowing as long as the door is ajar and will cuddle up to me and sleep on my chest. I want to say they are both females. Identical in size and nature they continue to stay.
We have other waterfowl here but DO NOT have any more Canada. We do not witness many migratory paths of wild ones. Maybe 1 a year I’ll see if lucky. Out of all the birds I have worked with, helped, released, shared my heart and personality with ,, THESE are by far the most amazing surprise I have had in quite a while Aware, yes I knew these Canadians can and will be a best friend in the right conditions and all the cool amazing stories but this is my first experience with hatched by me, young Canada’s. I have worked with plenty but always adult injured birds.
So sorry for such a long post.
Lets see who actually has the want and time to even read half of this ! 😂haha.

Thank you for whoever does.

Here is a picture of the junco
66924201-6750-43AA-B9D7-AEC7B400B19A.jpeg

Attachments

• F636D08D-6570-4B39-908B-68780E7FCDE4.jpeg
    F636D08D-6570-4B39-908B-68780E7FCDE4.jpeg
    795.6 KB · Views: 4
Most geese tend to migrate as family groups. As in the offspring will migrate with their parents the first fall migration season. These geese are lacking that so they may never migrate. In addition, Canada Geese, for various reasons, seem to be loosing the propensity to migrate. So even if their parents were still around, these geese may not have migrated anyway.
You can learn more about them here https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Canada_Goose/maps-range

I am not at all familiar with Canada geese but I'm posting anyway to follow this topic because we're in a slightly similar situation.

We've got two greylag goslings (now nearing 3 months old) that we found in our village without parents or grownups. At first we thought they might have been someone's pets who got lost, because they literally ran over to us and into our hands when we found them - they seemed way too tame to be wild, and domestic goslings and greylag goslings are very similar.

Looking back, they probably were so young that they imprinted on us (basically as their only chance for rescue) the minute they saw us. Either way, no one came to claim their lost pets and they've grown up to truly be greylag geese, not a domestic goose type.

So anyway, they've definitely imprinted on us during that time. We've been keeping them first in the house, then in the shed, and during the day in the garden. Almost every day we take them to the river wetlands, as small goslings to just get familiar with their native grounds, and since last month for flying practice. They're quite good by now (though I'd like them to get even better). They also do sometimes initiate contact with actual wild greylag geese, but so far they've not really shown an inclination to leave us for them (unfortunately).

We've noticed that they're still very attached to us. Only later we learned that greylag goslings stay with their parents until spring the year after, when the parents get a new nest - and if the previous year's goslings aren't mated, they'll regularly stay with the family group another year. Which is great for them, but not so much for us. Because we live in the middle of our village, have a small garden, and generally speaking this is just not a great place for geese to be. However they're completely uninterested in leaving the garden unless it's with us.

So like you I'm wondering if/when they'll leave us... I don't think they'll migrate south (which isn't that big a deal; plenty of greylag geese winter in our country). But at some point we do need to get back to work when the whole covid business is finished, and I'm very wary of leaving them alone in the garden for a full working day. Even if they don't fly off, they get loud calling for us - and we have plenty of neighbours...

So yea, I'll hang out here and hope there's someone with a lot of experience who can tell both you and me what to expect from the future ;) (Though I fear it's 'moving to a farm'. Which we're very willing to do, it's just too expensive.)

(And yes, we should've brought them to a wildlife rehabilitation place when we'd found them. But when we'd a) found out they weren't someone's missing pets, and b) that we had a geese rehabilitation organisation in my country, they'd already imprinted on us...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom