What are the odds? (Hen question)

Skipper7410

Songster
Jun 21, 2019
Provo, Utah
I have 7 RP turkeys. As of today it would appear as though they all gobble....usually one goes off and then they all gobble together...1 was bought from a feed store and 6 from a lady in idaho and we chased them around and grabbed them at random. Am i that unlucky that i have all toms, or will hens mimick/gobble themselves sometimes? Ive never heard a wild hen gobble (i know they strut) thanks guys.

I have 7 RP turkeys. As of today it would appear as though they all gobble....usually one goes off and then they all gobble together...1 was bought from a feed store and 6 from a lady in idaho and we chased them around and grabbed them at random. Am i that unlucky that i have all toms, or will hens mimick/gobble themselves sometimes? Ive never heard a wild hen gobble (i know they strut) thanks guys.
It can happen that you ended up with all toms. I hatched out 8 guinea eggs one time and got 7 males and 1 hen.

Normal is about 50% toms and hens hatch but that can be over the course of a full season. Individual batches can be really skewed one way or the other.

Random capture can also lead to bad results. I have in the past unknowingly picked out all female guinea keets for a buyer and ended up with all male keets left for myself.

I have read claims of hens gobbling but have never actually heard a hen gobble. Strut and grow a beard, yes but no gobbling.

It can happen that you ended up with all toms. I hatched out 8 guinea eggs one time and got 7 males and 1 hen.

Normal is about 50% toms and hens hatch but that can be over the course of a full season. Individual batches can be really skewed one way or the other.

Random capture can also lead to bad results. I have in the past unknowingly picked out all female guinea keets for a buyer and ended up with all male keets left for myself.

I have read claims of hens gobbling but have never actually heard a hen gobble. Strut and grow a beard, yes but no gobbling.

Well i was hoping for a breeding pair this season but not looking good lol. Worst case looks like a got enough birds to get through a thanksgiving...or 2..

Edit: phone typing haha

Last edited:
Well i was hoping for a breeding pair this season but not looking good lol. Worst case looks like a got enough birds to get through a thanksgiving...or 2..

Edit: phone typing haha
I do not recommend keeping a breeding pair. One hen to one tom can be very hard on the hen. I try to keep at least 4 to 5 hens for one tom.

Back
Top Bottom