what are the odds my rumpless easter egger is a pure breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by UBkevy, Jun 28, 2011.

1. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    i have a 12 week old easter egger with no rump. it has feathered slower then the others and seems to walk more upright then the others. Whats the chance its a pure breed bird and not a mutt

2. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Well I suppose it depends where you got them. If they came from a hatchery, most likely the lil rumpless guy was a fluke, but if the chicks came from a breeder who has rumpless ameruaca then hey its totally possible [​IMG]

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Purebred Easter Egger is an oxymoron.

4. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    Quote:I think they are wondering if what they bought as an EE is actually a purebred... since EEs are usually Ameraucana mixes, and Ameraucanas are spinoffs of Araucanas(IIRC), so the rumplessness could be a throwback, right?

5. UBkevy

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    i know a pure breed EE is not a real thing i ment what are the odds its an Araucana. i did not think that the rumpless gene would show up in a cross, or that it was hightly unlikley

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

7. Sailing Dede

Sailing Dede Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Bradwell-On-Sea
    Can you post a picture?
    I'm curious of the colour [​IMG]

8. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    v.cyr :

Quote:I think they are wondering if what they bought as an EE is actually a purebred... since EEs are usually Ameraucana mixes, and Ameraucanas are spinoffs of Araucanas(IIRC), so the rumplessness could be a throwback, right?

Actually, Ameraucanas are spin-offs of EEs.​

9. UBkevy

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    its color is columbian

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    v.cyr :

While ameraucanas were recognised at a later date, they were not developed FROM araucanas, but from the same imported south american breed crosses. Just different breeders had different ideas about what the "araucana" should look like. When araucanas were recognised as rumpless and tufted WITHOUT beards and muffs, those breeders who disagreed with that standard chose to continue working toward the standard THEY wanted: beards & muffs and tails.

In other countries the standard for araucanas differ from ours, and can include tails, tufts & beard/muffs and even a crest.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by