what are the odds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amylaloon, Aug 19, 2010.

1. amylaloon

amylaloon New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    We got our first chicks about 7 weeks ago, everything is going really well. We got them the day they were hatched, from an old fella around here who has been breeding them for years. he called them araucanas, but we understand the whole araucana-amaraucana-easteregger thing, a few of them are rumpless and have tufts, but im sure they are really just eastereggers, we could care less, we arnt in it for show chickens, we just wanted coloured eggs like my boyfriends family had when he was growing up.

anywho, when we got them, the old farmer said he doesnt sex them, just grabs a few at random, he said its usually 50 50 male to female. so we got 10, hoping for at least 5 ladies. now, as far as i can tell, we got 9 hens and 1 rooster. i dont know how early you can tell, but so far only this one has a great big comb and the red waddly things under the beak(whats that called?) and no one else does. did we luck out and get just one rooster? does that happen often? i didnt want to name them and get attached only to have to eat the extra roosters, but this is perfect...

2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    [​IMG] well you go lucky XD >.> we ended up with like 9 hens and 20 roosters [​IMG]

3. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    They are called wattles and lucky you! There are tons of people who wished they had your luck. I don't know much about the EEs/Ameraucanas/Auracaunas but I seem to remember reading somewhere that they can be tricky to sex sometimes.

You should post some photos and we can all take a guess and try to help you out. Not to mention so we can "oooh and ahhh" over them!

4. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    here is a link to chicken anatomy. https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-anatomy.html
    You
    got lucky! My eggs hatched out 10 hens and 20 roo's! I had to order 17 more hens from Ideal. I have processed 8 roo's so far and another 8 this weekend are scheduled to go!

God Bless!

5. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    My EEs are about the same age as yours and out of 9 I'm seeing 5 roosters so far! [​IMG]

Lucky you!

They are hard to sex though, so you may still be up for a surprise.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome to the forum! [​IMG] Glad you are here! [​IMG]

At 7 weeks you should be getting a pretty good idea on sex. Sounds like you did really welll. I have not run the numbers on 10 chicks, but just for fun here are the odds with 8 chicks. You can see how lucky you really are. A quick look (don't hold me to it) gives 10 out of 1024 times or 0.98%.

8 male 0 female - 1 in 256 or 0.4%
    7 male 1 female - 8 in 256 or 3.1%
    6 male 2 female - 28 in 256 or 10.9%
    5 male 3 female - 56 in 256 or 21.9%
    4 male 4 female - 70 in 256 or 27.3%
    3 male 5 female - 56 in 256 or 21.9%
    2 male 6 female - 28 in 256 or 10.9%
    1 male 7 female - 8 in 256 or 3.1%
    0 male 8 female - 1 in 256 or 0.4%

7. amylaloon

amylaloon New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    thanks for all that, i gotta say i am loving this site. and chicken tv is my new favorite channel lol. by which i mean sitting out back feeding the chickens clover and stuff. hahaha. i will try to post some pics, but i am one of the 100 or so remaining people in the world who still use dial up, so be patient.

8. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Wow, you sure are lucky! Apparently, Bigstack and I drew the same short straw this year, so far I think I've got 8 roosters and 4 pullets, but two of the pullets are questionable, so we'll see. [​IMG]

[​IMG] this really is a wonderful community, glad to have you onboard!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  9. amylaloon

amylaloon New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    [​IMG]
    heres one pic

10. amylaloon

amylaloon New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    the rooster man is back right. these pics are from 2 or 3 weeks ago and his comb is 3 times the size now, but my camera batteries are dead so i cant take newer ones right now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by