What are the odds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by heybarb, Mar 13, 2012.

1. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    We are very new to chickens and just picked out 6 chicks at Tractor Supply last weekend. The signs said "Mixed Pullets" and "Mixed Bantums." What are the odds that we have a rooster or two? Hubby thinks there's a 50/50 chance meaning, he thinks that 3 of the 6 are roosters...what do you think? Is there a way to tell?

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    If it were me, they'd all turn out to be roosters. I would have to say 50-50 chance.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

All from the same bin?

"pullets" means they are sexed female. So unless the chickes were mixed up in the bins they should be 80-90% female. (Course depending on the hatchery & sexers)

At my feedstore you never see sexed Bantams. They are always Straight Run. Don't know if that is the way it is at Tractor Supply. Don't know if it is even possible to sex bantams.

Some breeds can be sexed early, you might want to post pictures. I can't help with that.

Imp

4. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    We picked 4 from the "mixed pullets" and we took the last two bantums which we think are cochins. They are all yellow chicks, but the little ones are a darker yellow, almost orange color. They are all really cute too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by