What are the personalities of these chicks/breeds?

You will hear mixed reviews about polish.
Some people say they are way to skittish or mean because they can't see well and others love them.
If you are free ranging, i would not get polish because they can't see predators well.
But, In my experience, they make great pets!
Ive had/have polish bantams and they are really sweet and our polish rooster would follow us around or jump in our laps.
Only issue is they don't always do well in mixed flocks, don't get me wrong they can.
But if they are with more dominant breeds, they will get picked on and probably get their crest feathers pulled.

From what i heard, Cochin's make great lap chickens and go broody and can raise chicks for you.
I had a silver laced wyandotte, she was sweet to humans, but very mean to other chickens (just my experience).
I would probably recommend a Barred Plymouth rock over a wyandotte because my Barred Plymouth rock was extremely tame (and i never got her as a chick. I got her when she was like 6 yrs old!).
And i have no experience with Sussex.

Good luck with whatever breed you pick!

Last edited:
Any breed can have chickens that are friendly or stand-offish. For lap chickens, in general, brahmas, cochins, silkies - all those impractical birds with lots of feathers that were bred because people liked the look and wanted them as more as pets than egg machines.

If you want your chickens to be people-friendly, you'll have to hand raise them and spend a lot of time handling them as chicks. In which case, you might as well get whatever breed(s) appeal to you because you'll have to spend time regardless.

You're going to get as many different answers about breeds as people post, so I say go for what you want!

I agree with PtldChick.
I will add that our Silver Laced Wyandottes (SLW) are very independent. They will come near, when treats are expected, but quickly skirt touching. When we need to check them they "tolerate" handling, but squirm to get down.

Our Speckled Sussex hens are very sweet, coming running when we are out, treat or not, stay around us, chattering, clucking, and love to cuddle. Our Australorps and Buff Orpingtons are also very people friendly, love time on our laps when we sit down.

Do spend lots of time with them from the first day. They are so much fun.

We have RSL's and one Dom> The Dom is the sweetest of all of them. She is the only one that will let me hold her and not freak out. The RSL are sweet too, very nice personalities. We will be adding some EE this spring, I have heard that they are very sweet gentle birds.

Okay...stupid question. Are dominiques very different from barred rocks? I mean, are they technically just a 'rose combed barred rock'? Or do they have different lines.

Dominiques are a different breed that date back to the colonial times in america. They were bred as a dual purpose breed by the colonists. I do not know what their specific lines are, but they are noticeable different from barred rocks. I you get a chance you should check out my photo album called chickens. Many of the pictures in this album are of my Dominique rooster. I have the one rooster and three females all dominiques, there are also some barreds in the flock and you can tell the difference. The bars on the dominiques are closer together and they have yellow legs and the rose combs. They are wonderful chickens and the rooster is a BIG gentleman! I love the dominique breed!

Back
Top Bottom