What are the pros and cons taking chickens to a sale barn?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ScoobyRoo, Jan 23, 2009.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    If I can't re-home my roosters or extra chickens we have tinkered with the idea of taking them to the sale barn. I know I run the risk of bringing home diseases and other 'stuff' to my own chickens. I want to rotate out a couple of 1yr old hens and any excess roosters. I just hope I can find someone close buy to sell to. If not, what are the pros and cons of a sale barn?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    they will get sold...may not get as much as you want...there might be other birds you see and you will buy them (not sure if that is a pro or con) [​IMG]

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I take my extras to a monthly small animal auction. I've not had any issues. I've also bought from there as well. Quartine is the answer. Anything I bring home gets a 4 week stay in a seperate facility by themselves. I've not had any issues thus far (knock on wood).

Price wise, I get between $6.00-$10.00 for my extras. Not bad I don't think [​IMG]

4. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I don't plan to buy. Our purpose is to keep a certain # here on the farm and sell the rest. DD wants to hatch a batch (our first time) But she knows we can't keep them all.

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I take my extras to a small auction as well. I go the day before to drop of (late afternoon). I always water my birds myself to make sure they get some. I wear rubber boots to the auction and disinfect when I get to my front yard.

6. ntiveheart

ntiveheart Chillin' With My Peeps

i do the same as cluckychick-quarantine any newbies........i also wash my clothes and sneakers before going out to my own poultry runs after the auction. i haven't had any issues with it either........and the extra funds always come in handy!

7. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:Is spraying Lysol on the shoes a way to disinfect or do you use bleach? A family of 5 may take a while to sanitize.

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I spray off with hose then do a dishpan (or whatever you have) with a bleach/water mixture. Just step in and then take the boots off and allow to air dry. It's really similar to a hand dish washing method in a restaurant [​IMG] It's pretty quick and easy for everyone to hose off then step in and out. [​IMG]

Lysol would probably work-just haven't gone that route myself [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  9. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    coffeemama, what did you transport you chickens in? Did the cages go with the chickens or kept them? Or did you use cardboard boxes? Does the sale barn 'show' them in their boxes? What is the best way to transport that is cost effective? Sorry for the many questions. I just want to know what I'm in for. Thanks for any info you can pass along.

10. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    We have a couple of pretty good poultry auctions in our area. Its a great way to get rid of extra birds.I've also found some pretty good buys.Of course you have to figure if yoou are taking culls,someone else proably is too! Oh well,one mans trash is another mans treasure. Some good tips to remember is to take the birds in cages that you can let go,(some auctions offer the option of selling the cage they are in separate from the birds,double money on one item)be sure and use wire cages so the birds can be seen well,make several small cages rather one big one,always try to have a roo and hen or two together even if they are not the same breed. Pens of just roos usually don't bring much,always add at least a couple of hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by