What are the rarest birds you have? (Quails, Pheasants, Partridges)

drowe005

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Corapeake NC
Just curious what some of the not so common birds people have. I know this is the Pheasants and Partridge page and would like to hear and see them, but also would like to include rare quail in this post too. Thanks for any input and please include pictures.

As for me, Mountain quail are the rarest bird I have. Hopefully I will have some Mearns in a couple weeks.

Just curious what some of the not so common birds people have. I know this is the Pheasants and Partridge page and would like to hear and see them, but also would like to include rare quail in this post too. Thanks for any input and please include pictures.

As for me, Mountain quail are the rarest bird I have. Hopefully I will have some Mearns in a couple weeks.
Hi

I see you're birds are on wire is there a reason for that is that beter advatages for this avairies or are there disadvantages too

I think keeping them on wire makes taking care of them easier and they don't get sick as much because they can pick up disease quite easily if they were on the ground. It also makes collecting the eggs easier and you can keep them cleaner. Maybe some the disadvantage might be that the bird don't have as much free room to move about as in an aviary and have a more natural habitat. I personally would like to have them in a large in ground aviary that mimics their natural habitat as close as possible. That way the birds can act like they do in their natural habitat and raise their own chicks. I can only dream of someday living in some remote area with large enough land to build a large aviary for my future birds to live and roam. I can only daydream for now, I hope some more expertise member will chime in.

Last edited:
Hi

I see you're birds are on wire is there a reason for that is that beter advatages for this avairies or are there disadvantages too

Raising birds on wire is all advantageous.

- Cage always stays clean
- No deaths resulting from eating or living in poop
- Huge reduction in the number of contaminated eggs resulting in higher hatch rate and much healthier offspring
- No worm problems
- Predator Proof
- Results in less stress in birds if the need to transport them ever arises
- Easy sterilization
- Flood proof
- And many more reasons as well

(And as anyone who raises birds knows, sanitation is the key to having healthy and successful flocks)

While raising any bird on wire is possible, I only raise smaller species such as Chukar and Quail on wire. My pheasants live on the ground as it would be too expensive to build an enclosure of the necessary size with all wire floors.

* I might add too, that atleast 50% of the floor space of all my wire floored cages have natural vegetation in them (branches, live wheatgrass, straw, hay, multiple perches, etc) to make them feel more at home

Last edited:
Raising birds on wire is all advantageous.

- Cage always stays clean
- No deaths resulting from eating or living in poop
- Huge reduction in the number of contaminated eggs resulting in higher hatch rate and much healthier offspring
- No worm problems
- Predator Proof
- Results in less stress in birds if the need to transport them ever arises
- Easy sterilization
- Flood proof
- And many more reasons as well

(And as anyone who raises birds knows, sanitation is the key to having healthy and successful flocks)

While raising any bird on wire is possible, I only raise smaller species such as Chukar and Quail on wire. My pheasants live on the ground as it would be too expensive to build an enclosure of the necessary size with all wire floors.

* I might add too, that atleast 50% of the floor space of all my wire floored cages have natural vegetation in them (branches, live wheatgrass, straw, hay, multiple perches, etc) to make them feel more at home
thanks very interesting
thumbsup.gif

All true and if ya aint got the room there is no choice. I just like mine on the ground like they were meant to be .Plus I like to watch them be theirselves. Ive started lots of babies on wire. I guess my rarest birds would be siamese fireback pheasant or Java green peacock.

All true and if ya aint got the room there is no choice. I just like mine on the ground like they were meant to be .Plus I like to watch them be theirselves. Ive started lots of babies on wire. I guess my rarest birds would be siamese fireback pheasant or Java green peacock.

Destinduck, do you have any pictures of either of them?

Pretty birds you have there Tony. When I said rare, I just more or less meant the rarest birds in comparison to the rest of your flock that you may have, not necessarily a super rare bird that barely exists in the wild, although that would be cool if anyone had any.

I use to have a salvadori male,which there was only 10 or so known in the U.S..I wished I had taken a pic of him.Casuarius here on BYC raises them.I believe he has all that exist in the U.S. now.I'd love to get another pair,but they are sooooo expensive.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom