What are the "Rules of lockdown" ??? First chicken hatch???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandelaykay, Aug 14, 2011.

1. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    I know that I need to up the humidity but should I put the eggs in a carton or just lie them on the floor of the bator. When chicks hatch and are dry should I remove them in the morning and the am. When I open it I put in warm water to keep the humidity right? How long do I late the eggs that have not hatched sit??

2. Hi Mandy! I don't think there are any hard rules. In cartons or on their sides is personal preference. I do both, depending on space in hatcher /# of eggs / mood / etc. Whichever you do, remember to measure air temp at egg height.
    On Day 18, most people add water to increase humidity, close the incubator and don't open it again until hatch is done.
    There is no need to take out the chicks as they dry --- they can live on the yolk for several days.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. lavenderorpgirl

lavenderorpgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Hi,

I usually start increasing the humidity about day 18 - remember space is better than depth of water for raising humidity. I take sponges and soak them and get the humidity up. Once they start hatching then the humidity starts going up as well. I have heard not to ever open it, but I have really quickly (just popped glass top off incubator and reached in really quickly and then put it back on.

Also, the yolk will keep them happy for 48 hours +/ and you don't have to take them out as soon as they dry.

Good luck to you!

4. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    I thought maybe if I left the babies in with the eggs that they would bump into them and get the chicks all disoriented that are trying to hatch. What are youre thoughts on that? Also what day do they normally start to hatch? 21 or can it be earlier or later? How many days should I leave unhatched eggs in the bator and what should the humidity be for lockdown. I have heard anywhere from 60 to 80%. What is too high?

5. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    bump

6. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    I thought maybe if I left the babies in with the eggs that they would bump into them and get the chicks all disoriented that are trying to hatch. What are youre thoughts on that? Also what day do they normally start to hatch? 21 or can it be earlier or later? How many days should I leave unhatched eggs in the bator and what should the humidity be for lockdown. I have heard anywhere from 60 to 80%. What is too high?

Actually, chicks in the incubator will encourage unhatched chicks to hatch. Depending on your temperature/ humidity levels, chicks can hatch earlier, on time, or later. Unless the eggs start smelling, I would leave the eggs in the 'bator one week after their due date. I'm still new to incubating, as well, but at lockdown, I raise the humidity to 65%. I hope this helps!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by