What are the signs of a compacted crop? please help i need to know!!!!

rhodered10

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 12, 2010
I have a very nice young hen that has a large crop its larger than all of the others and latly she has been losing her voice and i am wondering if these could be the early warning signs of a compacted crop. if you know the signs of a compacted crop please tell me and please tell me how i could possibly treat it. any help will be greatly appreciated she is one of my favorite chickens and i would hate to loose her!!!!!!

usally they close one of there eyes to start of with and then they dont eat but one of our hens died a few days ago because of it but they say you can but oil down there throut and rub their crop and they will throup but they need grit so they will not get compacted crop

Thanks for your help im sry to hear that one of your chickens died:(
just wondering could crushed oyster shells act as grit?

Does her crop go down overnight?
I don't think oyster shell is the same as grit.
With a compacted grit they basically can't eat anymore and are quite sick. They don't get better.
Good luck.
smile.png

I have heard to use oil down their throat. But you must be careful not to get it down the wrong pipe into their lungs. That would be a whole nother problem. By the way it is called an impacted crop not compacted
wink.png
Google impacted crop for more possible help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Callemin you're absolutely right - but tell me what was I thinking writing "compacted grit"!!
lau.gif

Too much hurry.
big_smile.png

can oyster shells work as grit

oyster shells can be grit it is used while chickens are laying eggs for good hard shells dose she lay eggs she could have an egg stuck​

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I had a PR with impacted crop (fed the girls grass clippings...will NOT do that again). I seperated her, cool dark place, fed her yogurt, gave her pediolite and , a couple of doses of molasses, ACV, and olive oil in a eyedropper down her beak.
Basically I threw the book at her and she recovered fully and has been back out in the run and coop. Without this site, I wouldn't have known what to do and I am sure I would have lost her. Just enter impacted crop in seach and you will find a wealth of info. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I had a hen with crop impaction a couple months ago. I have plenty of grit out there, so it can still happen. The first thing I noticed is that she was pooping pure water only and she was laying around more than usual. The comb was a light pink vs. dark pink/red. She would still eat and drink. I tried the oil/massage thing, but ended up taking her to the vet who gave her an antibiotic shot and showed me how to massage her crop (much harder than I was massaging) also gave me an antifungal med. and oral antibiotics to give her daily. She got over all that and was well for a couple days and must have gotten something else - so back to the vet and he said probably a complication of the crop impaction - gave her another (different) antibiotic shot and a few days later she died.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom