1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are the symptoms of a hen being egg-bound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HayHays97, Nov 18, 2011.

1. HayHays97

HayHays97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Hey, I was just wondering what the symptoms of a hen being egg bound are?
    One of my hens, has started staying in the roost all the time and won't eat, it only started yesterday, so we are hoping she's just broody, but we want to make sure.
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I have had a couple of egg bound hens and they appear to have the "egg laying" posture. After a while when you go back she is still in the posture. I've had silent ones and ones that seem to push and cry out. If she is just sitting in the nest box not eating it sounds like she is getting broody. I have taken them out of the nest and bring her to the food. Sometimes it takes a few days but they get come out of it.

3. HayHays97

HayHays97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Thank you, I'm pretty sure she's broody, one of our other hens went broody for 6 months once.
    If any of my hens ever became egg bound, is there anything we can do, do we take them to the vet or something?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by