What Are The Symptoms of Respiratory Infections In Chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roostersandhens, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Hello! I recently rescued 12 battery hens. I have been emailing someone in Australia who owns a battery hen rescue (since I am opening one myself) and she told me that respiratory infections are common in these hens. So, today I woke up and checked on the hens, and one didn't seem to be doing too good. So, I was just wondering what the symptoms of respiratory infections are. The lady from Australia told me that I can just treat it with antibiotics so I will just ask my vet what to give her if she has it. Anyways, any help is appreciated. I would ask the the lady from Australia about symptoms, but I don't want to bother her since she is in the middle of moving. Thanks!
    - roostersandhens

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are many respiratory diseases that chickens can get. Bloodwork or necropsy are the only way to know what disease(s) a bird may have. There are diseases that are caused bacteria and diseases that are caused by virusus. Antibiotics have no effect on viral diseases in chickens. Birds that are showing signs of respiratory disease(s) should be culled as they are very contageous to other birds. Here's a link to respiratory diseases in chickens, you'll see that there are quite a few and are not all inclusive:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The most common symptoms are watery eyes, sometimes with bubbles, thick or thin nasal mucus, gurgles, rattles, or wheezing, and swelling or eyes or face from sinus infection. In some diseases there may be bloody mucus or a bad odor around the head. It is possible to have more than one disease at a time, which makes the birds much sicker.

4. Okay thanks. None of the hens are showing those symptoms. The hen I was worried about was huddled in a corner. She also wasn't eating the hard boiled egg I gave to them, which was weird.. But I just checked on them and she seemed fine [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That sounds a bit like coccidiosis or some other problem. Huddling is the chicken equivalent to "I feel terrible." Huddling, diarrhea, sometimes with blood, poor appetite, and wanting to eat, but can't, are symptoms of cocci. It is common for an older hen to get it when moving to a new home because of new strains of cocci in the soil. Corid or amprollium is the treatment for 5 days. Corid 2 tsp liquid or 1 1/2 tsp powder to 1 gallon of water for 5 days--treat all chickens. Here is a link about coccidiosis: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  6. My other chickens have coccidia, and I have been treating them, so I will just start treating the new hens too! Thanks!

7. I put medication (Corid) in their water. Hopefully Billina (the hen who is feeling sick) feels better soon. Thanks for the help!

8. Is there anything else it could be? I just want to make sure that there isn't a possibility that is something else.. (she is about 10 months btw)

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

There are a lot of things this could be but I agree that coccidiosis is a very good possibility and it's certainly the best place to start in ruling things out. It would be a good idea to give her the medicated water directly with a small syringe (no needle of course) several times a day the first day or so, until you know that she's drinking well on her own. If she's feeling really crummy she is not likely to drink enough on her own.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you have the Corid 9.6% liquid you can also give it as an oral drench, .2ml per kg (2.2 pounds).

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by