what are the temperments of leghorns?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sydney13, Jun 22, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    are your leghorns afraid of people or friendly? what about anconas? and are the production leghorns more afraid of humans then then the true leghorns

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:My experience has been that Leghorns are not at all interested in humans and would prefer they never get touched. I'm not sure about Anconas. I've never met a Leghorn that didn't hate me, even when hand-raised side-by-side with birds that ended up like lap-dogs (which is what I work toward in temperament). I have pretty much noticed this with every Mediterranean breed I've had except Buttercups.

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    thats interesting about buttercups ive always thought of them to be flighty and nervous. how are other peoples buttercups temperments? im looking for a breed that lays a lot of white eggs but is friendly

4. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i never liked the leghorns i had, they were to flighty, same with the anconas i had, i'd stick to the heavier brown egg layers

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:In general, I think the amount a bird is handled contributes greatly to the personality, but I couldn't tame the Leghorns (Danish Brown or White) I've had, and I think the nicest white layers I have had have been my Polish and my Buttercups. I've heard others say they had Buttercups who warmed up, while those not tenaciously handled seem to be wild. Mine are talkative with a crazy chatter and pick and choose when to be held, but they approach me, much like a cat.

I have also had luck with some Andalusians, and they lay a nice white egg. It's a matter of handling with them, too. Be prepared, though, Andalusians love to fly over tall fences!

6. kenora44

kenora44 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    I just got 12 leghorns and I love them. They are flighty and nervous. I put them in my existing flock and not a single problem. They are so flighty that they all stick together in their own corner and the other hens dont bother with them. They cant get close enough. When I do pick one up it doesnt try to fly they almost freeze, I try to talk with them and calm them down but they are just high strung and I have heard from others this will not change. I really enjoy them and WOW great egg producers. They are not friendly in the sense that they do not want to be near humans really but they are in the sense that non of mine have pecked or shown any aggresion towards me like some of my other hens.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Most leghorns are very nosy and can't wait to see what your doing and tell you how to do it better but not cuddle pets..although if you do catch one they are very docile in your arms.So,depending on what you call friendly...hang around you come running when they hear door or a pick me up pick me up type of bird. Exechequer leghorns are cuddle pets and love attention unlike their closer colored Anacona which is more like a leghorn on speed...not overly nosy and near Olympic sport to catch.
    Brown egg layers don't hold a candle to the production of the leghorn especially when the heat index stays above 100 for weeks like it does here. We have or have had legs in every color the white and brown are the very best layers

8. Miss Cheng

Miss Cheng Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Posting deleted.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    we hand raise and daily handle all of our birds . . . and my kids beg me not to get any more of those crazy white ones. I like the breed for what it is good for, but friendly pet quality it is not.

10. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    go with polish for great layers. i have a polish named polly and when we first got her she followed me around like a little dog. she is laying now and lays almost everyday! i will post a pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by