What are the top three things I should know?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by wildpeas, Apr 15, 2012.

1. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    We recently picked up 2 Embden goslings. Both female and being brooded with some ducklings of the same age. They are so cute! I have never had goslings before and am fairly new to ducklings. (I have another brooder with older ducklings in it, hence the 'fairly new'). The girl at the farm store said to make sure and hold the goslings a lot and give them copious amounts of attention. I guess this is so they will like us as adults? I was also reading that I should bring them in some sod? The weather here has been horrible and cold so they haven't been outside yet. They are just over a week old (approx).

I really need some basic information on gosling rearing and your top three tips for happy, healthy, friendly geese. We are having to build them their own house outside as the duck house will be full. Will they be ok being separated from the ducks at night?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    They should be fine with a separate goose house.

Top 3

1 Feed them a balanced feed for water fowl that is appropriate for their stage of development

2. They love greens/grassand they need some grit in their diet to digest it properly.

3. Give them lots of attention.

It doesn't hurt to have a good book on raising geese, too: http://holderreadfarm.com/literature_page/literature.htm

Have fun!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Thanks!
    The sun actually came out this afternoon so they and their duckling broodermates got to go outside for a little while. Yay! They ate grass and dandelion weeds and didn't stray far from us. When it was time to go in they followed us back to the house in a little line. It was so cute. I ordered "The Ultimate Pet Goose Guidebook" from Amazon today. I can get the Holderread one too. I cannot get strictly waterfowl feed here so they are eating Purina Flockraiser with some chick grit sprinkled on top. Should I give them a separate bowl of grit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by