What are the USDA Regulations for raising meat chickens? (in the US)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by zimmzimm3, Aug 10, 2008.

1. zimmzimm3

zimmzimm3 Hatching

Aug 10, 2008
    I was wanting to raise 500 or 600 meat chickens for a little extra money to support other hobbies and i was wondering what do i have to do to be able to sell them to a processor are there heavy regulations? If anyone knows the regulations or a link to the regulations i would really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

I think it varies state by state, so you might want to start by contacting your local department of agriculture. best of luck.

3. greyfields

greyfields Crowing

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The regulations for poultry and rabbits are not USDA governed, except for producers of over 19,999 birds per year. Start at your Extension office and they'll get you pointed in the right direction.

4. zimmzimm3

zimmzimm3 Hatching

Aug 10, 2008
    Thank You for your help. I am going to call the state department of Agriculture tomorrow. My next obstacle is trying to find somewhere to sell them to. Do you think the State Department of Agriculture will have a list of wholesale processors I could sell them to.

5. HFC

HFC Chirping

Oct 29, 2007
    Crosby, TX
    I would try to sell them directly to the consumer. I seriously doubt you could make any money selling them to a wholesale processer. You won't be able to compete with the larger producers. The biggest factor I can see is the bulk feed rates they can get.

Even if you had ALL the equipment, you're still looking at well over $1/lb just in feed per bird. Grocery stores sell them for .99 and $1.29 all day long.

6. greyfields

greyfields Crowing

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:You don't want to do that. You'll get about $0.15 per bird going wholesale. Direct to retail is the only way for a small guy do farming.

7. mommy9994

mommy9994 Songster

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I called my state's Department of Agriculture, and found them very helpful.

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Listen to greyfields! He knows what he's talking about [​IMG]

9. zimmzimm3

zimmzimm3 Hatching

Aug 10, 2008
    So basically i should start small and try and work my way up. ok Thanks for all of your guys help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: