What are the Visual Stages of a Fertilized Egg?

LizzzyJo

Show me the data 👩🏼‍🔬
5 Years
Dec 14, 2018
The Great Black Swamp, Ohio
Hello! So, my roo is 6 months old now and I am beginning to get eggs that have a bit more prominent white spot on the yolk. However, the ones from this morning had a rather hard, flat, white disk attached to the yolk by a string. The disks were about a half inch in diameter. It didn't look like the normal white mark that is on the yolk itself, but just sort of adjacent to it. I picked up the disks separate from the yolk. I wish I had a picture - next time!

Is this just a normal fertilized egg? Does anyone have pictures so that I can compare?

Thank you!!

upload_2019-7-3_10-17-29.jpeg

Fertile eggs have a bullseye , non fertile have a white dot. The string attached has nothing to do it the fertilization.

View attachment 1833267
Fertile eggs have a bullseye , non fertile have a white dot. The string attached has nothing to do it the fertilization.

Thanks for the pic! That's what mine look like normally, but this didn't really look like the pic, it looked more like a rather flat clump of beige dirt attached by a piece of twine. I'm wondering if the 'thing' started out as the normal fertilized bulls eye and then the heat from this crazy summer began to develop it? Is there a different appearance after they sat in a 100 degree coop for 1-2 days?

Last edited:
It was likely a meat spot. Parasites in eggs are not real common and it would usually be a tapeworm or roundworm, fairly easy to identify. Meat spots are not uncommon. Can be from a bit of blood from a broken vessel or a bit of reproductive tract tissue that ends up in the egg. A fertilized egg that was developing would have veins for blood supply that would be getting obvious after a few days.
aea090931cae20ff941d2809b052ea66.jpg

Could a burst capillary also cause the beige chunk? I'm worried it may be a parasite. But, I'm probably just being paranoid. Thank you for the help!
Nope, and Nope..... meat spot.
Always take pics of funky stuff.

Some times there is a meat chunk in an egg, its also normal. It is just a pice that came off the internal parts while developing, it forget what it’s called.
It's called a meat spot. A piece of tissue that breaks off inside the repro tract and ends up in the egg.

Last edited:
Nope, and Nope..... meat spot.
Always take pics of funky stuff.

It's called a meat spot. A piece of tissue that breaks off inside the repro tract and ends up in the egg.

Yes, I really needed to have taken a picture. There were two with the same issue (probably from the same girl). Will she likely be laying these regularly? Should I stop giving her eggs to friends? My friends are not farm people, if you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom