What are these 2 exotics? (added onto order)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Megs501, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Megs501

Megs501 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Received our order of 60 meat chicks today. They sent a lot of extras, and added in a few exotics. Any idea what they are? I am thinking cochins of some kind? =/

I am not sure the second isnt just a cornish cross, but with the dark stripe I thought maybe not?

Thanks yall!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Cochins have feathered feet. I'm not sure what the bottom one is, but I think the top is either a barred rock, or a black sex link

3. Megs501

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    aaah! ok thank you. I couldn't tell by the pictures that the Cochins had feathered feet. Thank you. I guess we will see in a few weeks what they turn out to be. =)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What hatchery? MMM?

I think the first bird is a cuckoo Marans. If it has pink/white skin and a straight comb, that's your bird.

the second chick looks like a splash something. could be an Andalusian, they come in black/blue/splash.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 nice breeds please don't eat them

1 person likes this.
  6. Megs501

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Oooh THANK YOU! I think MMM Is McMurray? If so, yes.

We won't eat them. haha I think I am going to go to tractor supply and get 2-3 more laying chicks to go with them. They will have to move to their own brooder here soon, cause the cornish X will get BIG fast.

The first guy has a straight comb for sure, and light feet, but I will check what color. Eeee! That's exciting.

I wonder if the second is a rooster? =/ I wouldnt mind keeping one nice rooster, but not sure about 2. We had to cull or EE roos, but I have read EE Roos are mean anyway. They were horrible with my kids (duh), but did good with their girls..

Do you know if those breeds are good as roosters? Thanks so much for helping me ID them!

7. rilesbiles01

rilesbiles01 Just Hatched

Aug 2, 2016
    The first one looks like a barred rock and my guess would be that the second is a lavender orpington.

8. Megs501

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    OOOOH! Ive been wanting a lavender orphington! How exciting!

9. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't think MMM sells lavender orpingtons. It does look like a splash something, so it could be an andulasian. Cuckoo Marans are great roosters. I have one, and he is the best rooster I have ever had. He is not particularly people friendly, but he chases the coyotes and warns the hens about any predators. He is gentle with the hens too.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    MMM doesn't have lavender Orps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by