What are these? Americauna or EE's?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by QuailQT, Mar 22, 2011.

1. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    I'm really hoping that I have something in my flock already that I can use to work towards EE's that lay colored eggs and Olive Eggers. I recently got this bantam roo and he looks like he's Americauna to me, but I wanted more opinions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have this banty hen (kind of on the bigger side of banty though) that I think is an EE, but not sure. She has 5 or 6 toes and some feathering on her feet as well. She lays a small, pinkish tan egg and goes broody once in a while. She hatched eggs for me from other hens last year and I may have one of her chicks that I incubated that is now laying eggs, but can't remember for sure if it is her's or not. [​IMG]. The hen that I think is either hers or a tetra tint has slate colored legs (no feathering), 4 toes and lays a tinted egg that isn't white, but not tan either. it is kind of a pinkish shade.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have this hen that I wondered whether she is an EE too. I hatched her from some of Paganbird's eggs last year. She lays a whiteish egg and has white earlobes with some blue on them as well. (Sorry that it's so blurry)
    [​IMG]

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I am not sure about the rooster, I don't think his leg color is right for an Ameracuana I don't know about the Hens to get a green egg layer you need to cross a blue egg layer with a brown egg layer.

3. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    i have an ee pullet that might actually be a cockerel and might not be an ee but im pretty sure it is...

4. QuailQT

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    I thought that all three pictured have pea combs and that was a gene linked with blue egg layers-(I'm probably mistaken)?

I do have some red sex link hens, black sex link hens, a New hampshire and a buff orp hen that lay brown eggs. I was hoping that I could cross them with this guy (though he might be too small to breed them too anyway?) to get some new pullets that would lay green eggs.

Or cross my other hens in question with one of these roos that I have listed below to get green egg layers:
    Buff Orpy, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Golden Comet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If they aren't EE's or Americauna, then would I just need an EE or Americauna hens and cross them with one of my roos above?

Could I also cross my red sex links with an Americauna roo if I find one? My red sex links lay very dark eggs (the black SL don't seem as dark-have you found that with yours as well?)

Sorry for all the questions! I appreciate any help with how to proceed. :O)

5. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    I think EE's cuz of the leg coloring on the rooster and the missing beard of the 1st hen and because the 1st hen has feet feathering. The 2nd hen looks correct but she lays wrong colored eggs and since she has blue earlobes she has to be an EE too.

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I think they are all EEs. That said, they are beautiful birds! Nothing wrong at all with pretty hybrids. [​IMG]

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The roo is colored like a salmon faverolle, but is missing the feather legs.

8. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I think they all are EEs.
    I love the rooster!!!

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:He could breed with them I have a bantam rooster and he does breed all the girls
    to get a green egg layer. You need a blue egg layer, Ameracuana, EE (that lays blue eggs) and a brown egg layer such as black sex link, BO ect. now you could use your red sex link hens with an EE or Ameracuana rooster. Not every mix breed chicken is an EE most EE's are a mix of Ameraucana or Acunanas (sp) So I would look at some breeders that have Ameraucana's and see if they have extra roosters that way you know that he carriers the blue egg gene then breed him to your brown egg layers the dark brown the egg layer the darker the green egg layer they should produce. hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  10. QuailQT

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    Thanks everyone! I love the rooster's coloring too. I think I'll call him Black Beard.

Buttercup, (the second hen), is my absolute favorite. She is such a sweetheart. She'll fly onto my back or stand on my shoe when I have goodies. I got her at an auction and have had her for a couple years now. I had also gotten a campine mixed hen and an EE rooster. I had to give away, Frankie the rooster. I think he crowed just to feel his rear end vibrate. I swear it was non stop! He was a sweetheart though.

Any suggestions for naming the black hen? She reminds me of a crow quite a bit. I had another just like her that died-why DO they have to cross the road?

Wondering what would happen if I also bred the roo and those two hens together. Would I get offspring that only laid blue eggs?

thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by