What are these bugs?!

Silkiechicmom

Chirping
Nov 27, 2019
Hello,
I noticed an abundance of these bugs in the coop. There are none of any of the chickens but they are in and around the wood. I was thinking of doing a deep clean with some diatomaceous earth but would like to know what I am dealing with first. Our coop is 4 years old but not rotten so not thinking they are termites. Thanks!
IMG_0530.jpeg

can't really tell by the picture. are those beetle type bugs?
Termites are ant type critters.
I think I have seen some similar bugs like that, but really have not paid attention to them.

Hello,
I noticed an abundance of these bugs in the coop. There are none of any of the chickens but they are in and around the wood. I was thinking of doing a deep clean with some diatomaceous earth but would like to know what I am dealing with first. Our coop is 4 years old but not rotten so not thinking they are termites. Thanks!
View attachment 3109652
Those are some sort of beetle. Hard to tell what type though.

can't really tell by the picture. are those beetle type bugs?
Termites are ant type critters.
I think I have seen some similar bugs like that, but really have not paid attention to them.
They seem to be some type of tiny beetle...it does not look like a mite or flea or anything like that...I am totally stumped! There are a lot of them though :( Here is a closeup. We are in New York.
IMG_0531.PNG

I'm in NY also and have these around, not just near the coop, so I'm really not too concerned. I have noticed the chickens are not eating them, so they must not be very tasty, lol.

I was getting nervous that they were some type of "bad bug" and we have new chicks so I didn't want to take any chances...I downloaded one of those Bug ID apps (Picture Insect). Looks like they are called springtails and are harmless but an indication of too much moisture in and around the coop. Thanks everyone...and thanks for the tip about DE around the coop!

I was getting nervous that they were some type of "bad bug" and we have new chicks so I didn't want to take any chances...I downloaded one of those Bug ID apps (Picture Insect). Looks like they are called springtails and are harmless but an indication of too much moisture in and around the coop. Thanks everyone...and thanks for the tip about DE around the coop!
As far as DE is concerned, many chicken keepers use it without issues and recommend it . Some don't like it and will tell others not to use it. I personally used it mixed in my dust baths. Did it help anything? Not sure.

Back
Top Bottom