What are these chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mommathea, Apr 17, 2009.

1. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    I picked these up from TSC. They were out of the mixed pullet bin, and the sign said that there were buffs, black sex link, and New Hampshire Reds.
    BUUUTTTT, I don't think they are NHRs. They look more like my production reds.
    What do you think? The bin did look like they had combined a bunch of stray pullets together when the bins got low.

[​IMG]

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    My guess would be not the blacks either. So by that deduction, it would mean that they are most likely buffs.

3. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

They're golden comets... pretty pullets. [​IMG]

4. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Yup, definitely Comets. I got one of these today, too. [​IMG]

5. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    My babie Buff O's were a lot liter!

6. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Thanks all! I knew they weren't NHRs. The funny thing, they didn't have Comets listed at all.
    In our original batch we got from a semi-local hatchery the red sl and the gold sl looked identical until their feather came in. And both had the light red with stripes. So I figured it was something like that.

I almost got two of the buffs, I wish I had picked up a few instead of 4 sl. Oh well, there is always nest time:cool:[​IMG]

7. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Our TSC has tons of comets. Those look just like the ones I seen at TSC today listed as comets.

8. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    MORE what are these chicks! I ordered from Mt Pleasant, had wonderful success with timeliness and service -- the Postmistress phoned me at 4:30 this a.m. to tell me they were in...[​IMG] !!!!

The hand notation on the outside of the box was the 100 special, (what I ordered--send me 100 of anything) but the hand notation also said "Golden Comets".

I'm pretty sure they're not ALL GC's....some are featherlinks, showing a little bit of greenish black at their wingtips---but I also have some with spots and stripes on their heads, and one with the body stripes like in your post, only lighter, and a number of them with sharply Buff colored heads.

Is it a good guess that the "marginal" I can't tell if this is REALLY a pullet gets selected for the "mainly cockerels" box on a sex-link chick? I'd love it if that were so....

Any voice of experience out there?

9. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    they are cute can't you tell

10. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    LOL o' COURSE they are!!! Pics:

[​IMG]
    Did ya want a HALF dozen...

[​IMG]

Or a dozen?

[​IMG]

This is a red-stripe looking one...

[​IMG]

And again.

Here are some with red (buff) tinged heads...

[​IMG]

And a farewell peck from one of my 4 wk RIR's....

[​IMG]

Oh yeah? Look me right in the EYE and say that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by