What are these chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by corvidae, Feb 9, 2012.

1. corvidae

corvidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Utah
    We got our shipment of baby Rocks today from Ideal, and there were 14 packing peanuts in there that all look like the same breed. Two have splayed leg, and they are all a little smaller than the buff and white rocks, but they seem otherwise healthy (and LOUD!). Anyone have any idea what they might be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    gold laced Wyandottes, I think.

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY

i think so too

4. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    I find that kind of sad that they send living chicks as "packing peanuts". Why don't they develop something else to keep someone's order warm other than living, breathing, babies. What if someone doesn't want or need "packing peanuts". [​IMG]

They are darn cute though.........

5. cjwaldon

cjwaldon Overrun With Chickens

Sep 11, 2011
    Missouri, USA
    My Coop
    What would happen to the packing peanuts if they were not included in someone's order?

6. corvidae

corvidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Utah
    Oh, how delightful! I love Wyandottes of all flavors and now that I look at the pics on the web of the gold-laced babies, I'd have to say that's pretty much for sure what these are. As far as the hatcheries including them, they actually do tell you that if you don't want them, contact the hatchery before shipping and they won't include them. We were okay with it and now I am just thrilled, though 14 extra chicks were a few more than I anticipated! I only ordered 12 Buff and White Rocks, though, so I guess they just throw in enough to bring the number close to 25? In any case, aside from the two splayed leggs, everyone is doing very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by