What are these creatures?

FrostyWind

Songster
Jun 12, 2016
So there's a few chickens who sleep ontop a tall stack of drawers and there's a box ontop and they all sleep ontop around it. Left it there for some months, so during those few months it filled up with their poop and I just cleaned it out today.
But there were these bugs/grubs/insects? Living inside it, they were everywhere, squirming around in the poop?
Pics:
IMG_20190915_111143.jpg

IMG_20190915_111619.jpg

What are they?
What insect do they belong to? How'd they even get there?
Can I farm them?

So there's a few chickens who sleep ontop a tall stack of drawers and there's a box ontop and they all sleep ontop around it. Left it there for some months, so during those few months it filled up with their poop and I just cleaned it out today.
But there were these bugs/grubs/insects? Living inside it, they were everywhere, squirming around in the poop?
Pics:
View attachment 1908632
View attachment 1908634
What are they?
Can I farm them?

Black soldier fly larvae. People do farm them for reptiles and such. But it involves keeping flies so....you can google how to do it though.

Black soldier fly larva.
I pay money to feed my reptiles these, and here you are growing a colony in some chicken poop! :lol:

You can most certainly farm them, but I would not continue to do it in chicken poop. There are some good tutorials online.
I’m sure your girls would greatly appreciate it.

Pics:
View attachment 1908632
View attachment 1908634
What are they?
Can I farm them?
Wow those are great shots!

They look like some kind of beetle larvae, demestid or some variety there of..maybe? They're just a composter. I am sure you could farm them, they'll pupate, then the beetle form will mate and lay the eggs. Most are pretty harmless, other than they can spread whatever disease may be in the manure. Personally I wouldn't feed chicken manure "worms" back to chickens as a practice, for that reason. I am sure they'd eat them, and do just by chance. But chicken poop bugs to fish, or cow manure composters to chickens, oh yeh.

I had a grass clippings and leaf compost pile one time and it got infested with those. In the spots where the grass was breaking down into a slimy mess is where they were.

Back
Top Bottom