What are these guys?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Smartie_Pants, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I bought them from Rural King who bought them from a hatchery. They came in a Heavy Breed Assortment that also included Barred Rocks, Naked Necks, Buff Cochins.
    I thought maybe they were Australorpes of Jersey Giants, but when I asked before no one knew.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'd guess you'd be right in your assumption of Black Australorps or Black Giants.

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Yep, I agree. You won't be able to tell which they are though, if they are one of those two breeds, until they're mature. If they grow to a giant size, they're giants.

Breeder quality giants and australorps are distinguishable by foot color. On the bottoms of their feet, australorps have whitish feet, and giants have yellow. But it doesn't always hold true with hatchery birds.

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    They look just like my Australorpes. Pretty babies!

Sandy

5. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they are Australorps. They have bits of dark on their legs and the overall coloring is just like my 'lorps when they were young chicks.

6. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Don't quite look like giants at that age, Australorps

7. RekbaSkins

RekbaSkins Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2008
    Middleburg, FL
    I have no clue what breed they are- but boy are they CUTE! Congrats on the new additions [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by