What are these guys?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by silkies4ever, Oct 1, 2007.

1. silkies4ever

silkies4ever Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    I'm not sure if you guys saw my other topic in another subforum, but I have a pair of what I have nicknamed "false guineafowl". I got these guys as hatchlings only a day or two old. They were labeled as guineafowl and they did look like guinea fowl keets.

But as they grew up, that wasn't the case. They don't resemble any kind of guineafowl in any way. I have already noted that they resemble appenzell bearded fowl in the face, but I have no clue if that stands the same for the color and body (only pic of an ABH I could find was a B&W headshot).

I'm curious as to what your guys' suspicions are regarding their breed so have fun figuring it out.

And a little extra info, they are about 4 months old now and very quiet. Not sure how much they weigh, but they are not a bantam size. They aren't exactly friendly, but they aren't wild either. They are comfortable with me being in the pen or walking around them and will take food from my hand, but they aren't friendly like my silkies. They're very calm and very non aggressive, not high strung like OEGH's.

So here's the pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parden the mess, I have a flock of about 20 pigeons in there as well and they're a pain to keep clean.

One is slightly larger than the other (the one that is a bit greyer) and has been like that since it was a chick. It was also a bit fluffier than all the others there.

So any guesses are welcome [​IMG]

2. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Easter Eggers. [​IMG]

Pretty ones too. I love the blue on that one.

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    The one looks very similar to my EE but,I agree, that one with the blue is a real nice looking one, [​IMG]
    Grats on that find.

Added: when you get eggs from them, Feel free to post them in the EE egg color thread, the link is in my signiture [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Those are beautiful Easter Eggers. Way better than a Guinnea. You got lucky with that mistake.

5. PeiTheCelt

PeiTheCelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    Wow, I can't vote on breed, but they're *really* lovely! I love the buff and blue, she's GORGEOUS! [​IMG]

6. silkies4ever

silkies4ever Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Wow, thanks guys!

Are these both hens? Maybe somebody can answer that too since they figured out what the mystery breed is [​IMG]

Does anybody have some easter egger pics they'd like to share?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Haha, interesting catch for being guinea fowl. They are EE's and all girls!

8. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Quote:Look like hens to me too.
    If you want to see my EE, you can look in my Esther and Winnie thread from the link in my signiture, you can also look in the EE egg color thread, there are lots of peoples EE's in that thread... again the link is in my signiture [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They look like hens to me. Funny-looking guineas, though.

10. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    EE's. They are very pretty too, although I'm not sure why they would be called guineas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by