1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what are these? leghorns, wyandottes, redcaps?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrsmith1113, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Mrsmith1113

Mrsmith1113 Just Hatched

Jun 24, 2016
    I have 7 chickens,
    5 from Big R and 2 from IFA. The 5 are: 2 all white(leghorns?), 1 white with small amounts of black(leghorn with pencilling?), two black and brown (Redcaps?)...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 2 I bought from IFA were sold to me as partridge rocks (single comb birds) but mine have rose combs I believe(wyandottes?). After hours upon hours of research, I could use some input. Thank you in advance!
    [​IMG]

I have more pictures available.

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Black and Browns remind me quite a bit of Barnevelders, solid Whites could be Leghorns or White Rocks, though somehow I'm leaning more towards Leghorn, and the last two are Silver Laced Wyandottes. [​IMG] Not 100% sure about White with Black.

~Alex

3. Mrsmith1113

Mrsmith1113 Just Hatched

Jun 24, 2016
    Thank you! Your input helps so much!!!
    I lean towards leghorns, as that's what the poster listed as one of what they sell in their "variety pullets". That poster had "golden sexlink, buff orpington, Cornish cross, wyandotte, black australorp, white leghorn, easter egger, road island reds, and barred rock"
    I bought the 3 whites, and 2 brown and blacks from that poster options. But I have expanded my search from that, because I don't feel confident in the limited choices. And the workers even store manager couldn't help me.
    All chickens I bought around April 5th, as baby chicks. So I think maybe 13 weeks old? I've had them for 11 1/2... I do also have some pics from when they were just bought.
    But from my lengthy searches, checking eye, ear, wattle, shank colors and comb styles, etc. I've come up with a handful of possibilities per each color set.
    I feel the 3 white ones are leghorns or rocks... the 3rd just hasn't grown into its black markings maybe? Or maybe a deleware?
    The brown and black, I have red caps and Easter egger as high possibilities. I'm hoping they aren't eggers tho lol.
    For the black and white ones. I'm quite certain they're silver penciled. I've been collecting stray feathers and comparing markings. And honestly I'm pretty stuck on them being wyandottes. The other options would be hamburgh, leghorns, chantecler, dorkings?

Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by