What Are These Little Ones?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thorper1, Apr 28, 2011.

1. thorper1

thorper1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    I have wanted chickens for a long time - laying hens. Apparently, I talked so much about it that my family decided they would take the chicks hatched at school and give them to me. This is how I have come to have 9 chicks and I would love to know what kind they are. I have 6 that are about 5 weeks old - 3 are black, 1 is yellow, 1 is gray, and 1 is chocolate brownish. The brown one is the most relaxed of the group. The gray one is nervous and flightly. These were all hatched at the same time, but I do not know if the eggs came from the same place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was also given 3 chicks from another school hatching project - they are 3 weeks old and all look really similar - black and white maybe - with some yellow too - one has yellow on the face and chest.

[​IMG]

I would appreciate any help. I am hoping I have some laying hens here. Thoughts?

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Ok im seeing 2, maybe 3 EE. One leghorn (the white) and maybe two Australorps? The blue one looks tailless, is it?
    The babies are Australorps, it looks like.

3. thorper1

Apr 28, 2011
    I don't think the blue one is tailess. I took another picture:
    [​IMG]

Does it matter that 2 of the 5-week old black ones seem to have black feet and one has yellow and black feet?

Thanks so much for your help!

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Well its a blue or gray something... not sure what. Oh and the leghorn is a roo.
    As for the feet, thats probably because of poor breeding. If you want a layer, it shouldnt matter.

5. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

I can't say for sure on the breeds but, I can tell you, you have quite a few roosters in there [​IMG]

6. thorper1

Apr 28, 2011
    How can you tell? The combs?
    So is the gray one a roo too? What is the best why to determine? Do I have to wait until they are older?

7. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Quote:If they are that red in the face and only 5 wks old. I'm betting on roosters sorry [​IMG]

8. thorper1

Apr 28, 2011
    Thanks for your help! I am super curious about these little guys!
    Also - what is an EE?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  9. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I think the one black one looks like a barred rock, can start to see stripes coming in on the feathers. And white spots on head usually mean that also.
    Agree that the white is Leghorn
    White and gray probably roo's

Disclaimer: Pretty darn new at this, but I have been watching this thread a lot trying to learn.

10. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    Quote:Easter Egger - will lay blue/green/olive colored eggs if a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by