What are these silkie chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jrobertson, Jun 19, 2011.

1. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    All right guys, Lets see if you can help me out. I've got a breeder pen of partridge silkies from hadden/hattrick lines. Now keep in mind that there is no way another bird got in my pen or one of my hens got out. They have been kept completely seperate. I hatched a few today and got some really light buff colored birds, but they still have the stripes down the back. Red partridge? Something different? Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    They look to be Partridge and Buff to me.
    Remember they made buff from a Partridge bird. The Partridge based buff will usually feather out darker than the Wheaten based ones and have some black. Maybe you are getting some spontaneous Buff due to variety crosses in past breedings.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  3. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    Quote:I guess thats it. I'm gonna hang on to them to see how they feather out.

4. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    both of this rooster parents where partridge
    [​IMG]

5. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    I'm guessing white on those 2.... I've known quite a few people that crossed partridge to whites to improve overall type. The resulting babies could be partridge but carry recessive white in their background. Cross them together and the whites will pop up sporadically.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by