What are these supposed EEs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ariel301, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I got some chickens from a lady down the street who was just wanting to get rid of them. I have since realized that just about everything she said about them is wrong...she told me that 'the big white one lays white eggs'... turns out it's a white Plymouth Rock and I have no idea how she knew it laid white eggs, as it is too young to lay eggs, plus rocks lay brown...she also sold me two 'Araucana and banty crosses' as she called them, but I know they are not true Araucana, and she had no idea that there were multiple kinds of bantam. I got a definite pullet of a very interesting color, and what I thought was a rooster but it does not crow or act like a rooster at all...now I'm wondering if he's a pullet too...and after looking at some photos, I am wondering if there is maybe some D'Anvers in these two? Here's pictures the day I got them, they were pretty scruffy and the brown one's tail has grown back better now. I'll try to get nicer pictures tomorrow too.

What do you think? What in the world are these? They're about half the size of a normal large fowl, but are very heavy and solid for their size, and really big/wide in the breast. You don't expect their weight when you lift them, they are chunky!

Strange color pullet...what would you say this color is? I really love it and have never seen one like it.
    [​IMG]

This...rooster or pullet? D'Anver cross, you think? This one has a big floppy comb while the silver has a little tiny comb. The tail has filled in more, but it's not long at all. I'll try to get a new photo of the tail filled back in. Both have beards/ ear muffs also, but they are very small.
    [​IMG]

I also have two younger birds similar, sort of a buff and black spotted mixture... the lady said that the pair pictured was the parents, but I don't think she knew what she was talking about, as the silvery one is not even laying yet.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    the firsts color is like silver quail, and the second you are right. Does the first one have a rosecomb or single?

3. chickenlover54

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    and no they are not EE, they are both crosses because of the feather stubs on their legs. there is no D'Anver in either of them because they have single combs

4. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    EEs are crosses. If they lay green or blue eggs, they are EEs, and EEs can even lay brown or white. Basically, they are non-standard-colored Blue eggers or mixed breed chickens that have muffs or lay fun colored eggs. Thats what they are. they arent a breed. There is no standard for comb, color, or anything, because they are mixes. Like Labradoodles.

That silver bird is beautiful!

5. chickenlover54

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:I know EEs are crosses but they are not EE at all because they have a single comb, Even if they were part EE they would have a pea comb because pea combs are dominant over single.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    If they were 2nd generation they could have a single comb--I think. If I remember right 1st generation cross with one pea comb parent and one single comb parent will have all pea comb offspring, but the 2nd generation would be 25% single comb.

ETA: The second chicken is the same color as my hathery EE pullets, but it doesn't look like either of them have green legs...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  7. Ariel301

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    There's no feather stubs on either bird's legs. Not sure what you're seeing.

Don't know about egg color, as I have not gotten any eggs. Both of these have slate legs. The silver has a very small, nearly non-existant comb (not sure what type it is), while the brown has the floppy single comb, it kind of falls over sideways most of the time.

This lady says she hatched all of these birds herself from her own eggs, and she's had a mix of who knows what...these were the last few she had left. She's just been letting them breed as they will for several generations. So they are very crossbred, but I'm just wondering if anyone has some guesses as to what is in them?

And the brown one...male or female?

8. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Your Brown 'Rooster' is a hen.

They look like EE's mixed maybe several times with something else.

EE mixes don't have to have Pea Combs. I've had lots of crosses come out with Straight Combs.

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I think that they have some EE in their background, but have no idea what the foundation stock was crossed with to get these guys. It's hard to tell if the second one is a boy or girl... the comb seems large, but I'm used to pea combs on the EE's so that might not mean much. They both look more pink then red in the comb area so I think you're right that they're young birds and I'll guess pullet on the brown one too. The silver pullet is a beauty!

10. Ariel301

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Yay, I'm glad that the brown one is probably a girl. One of our other 'guaranteed' pullets already turned into a rooster.

We love our 'Silver Falcon' as we call her...I hope to get some chicks out of her with her coloring, just not sure what kind of rooster would give us something like that. I've certainly never seen a chicken that color. My husband thinks she looks like a falcon, especially when she rides around on my arm lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by