What are these Tailed Chickens? Are they EE or just Tailed Araucanas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sega, Jun 30, 2011.

1. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    some look like ees others dont

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

With the absence of beards, muffs and/or tufts you can pretty much rule out Aracaunas, Ameracaunas and Easter Eggers. With most of the chicks being either blue, black or splash in color I would say that they came from blue parent stock but breed would be in question.

4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Tailed Araucana. Araucana come cleanfaced and tailed also, but it is not the standard. I have a few running around that hatch out of my rumpless tufted breeding pens. Some people use tailed birds as breeders to keep their offspring from getting too short of backs. It is not uncommon to see Araucana with tails, just since they are not per the standard everyone thinks they don't exist.

Lanae

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Looks like you have a few nice rumpless ones also. Do you have any with tufts? You can breed the rumpless to the tailed ones and then cull for tails. Eventually you will get down to only a tail popping up everyonce in a while.

Lanae

6. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    Decided to keep these a few more weeks to see what they turn out like. There are some of the Tailed ones that do have a tuffs. One even has double tuffs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by