What are these things sticking out of my rooster's head?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tattoued, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Tattoued

Tattoued Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    Please see attached. These things started popping out last year. He's grown more of them since. He seems to be very healthy... what the heck are they?[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Feather shafts.

3. Tattoued

May 21, 2014
    So what happened? Did those feathers fall out for some reason? I just haven't seen many roosters like this... not that I've seen hundreds, mind you. ;)

4. the poppster

the poppster Chillin' With My Peeps

He's molting...some start and stop. If he's a youngster they may just be additional feathers coming in...he's a good looking boy!

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Already good info.... I agree.

6. the poppster

Thank you! I really enjoy this site.

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

AH, that was supposed to be for @Tattoued But it's nice to meet you and I'm glad you are enjoying this site! I do too. [​IMG]

The people here are great and caring while also being full of useful knowledge. [​IMG]

8. Tattoued

May 21, 2014
    @the poppster - They've been there for over a year - more have shown up over that time. I think he's ageing, actually. His spurs were VERY long, and one of his back toes has a long claw on it. Thanks! I think he's pretty handsome too! He's a pet - wandered up our driveway about 3 years ago in the middle of a New England winter. No clue how old he is.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  9. the poppster

Weird...are they sort of hollow? Is there something in them? If so maybe they are feathers that haven't shed the outside covering...or they haven't developed fully... Or are they like solid little spikes? Strange...

10. Tattoued

May 21, 2014
    They're like little strands of whatever - not hard or anything, but they don't change into feathers at all, and he's gotten more over the year or so I first noticed them. I thought it was strange too... I mean I've seen him molt and I thought that's what was happening but then the "spikes" never did anything. They're like coarse hairs or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by