What are these TSC chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mshar3, Mar 20, 2013.

1. mshar3

mshar3 New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    We are brand new to chickens. Bought 6 various chicks at TSC. I'm pretty sure 2 are red sex-linked. I don't have pics of those, but they started out yellow and are slowly turning red. I have 2 that look like chipmunks, so cute. Advertised as Ameracaunas. Pics are below. There are 2 black and silvery white. Not especially attractive at this point, either in looks or attitude. They are the largest. These were advertised as pullets. We got all of these chicks 2 weeks ago, so the oldest they could be is maybe a few days over 3 weeks. The black chicks have red combs and are beginning to get wattles. Can you guys identify the breed and sex of the pics I have posted? Thanks for any help![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nunlef

nunlef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    hi,
    the chipmunk ones look like partridge "easter eggers". Not sure about the other 2, I'm still relatively new to chickens.
    The feathering makes me think at least 3 weeks old, BTW. Of course different breeds feather differently, all the chicks I have ever bought (as day olds) or hatched were feathered similarly around 3-4 weeks.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You have two male Silver Laced Wyandottes (hatchery ones are known to have a bad 'tude). You also have what appear to be a male and female Easter Egger (you may have to wait a few weeks to be sure on the gender).

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The ones labeled "Ameraucana" are definitely Easter Eggers. That's what my TSC calls their EEs, too. The two dark ones look to be silver-laced Wyandotte. Might not be pretty now, but they'll be gorgeous once they've fully feathered.

5. mshar3

mshar3 New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks for the info. Are the wyandottes definitely males? What am I looking for to distinguish the EE's?

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Those Wyandottes have super red, large combs for their age, that's for sure.

The EEs look like chipmunks. Fluffy cheeks, pea combs, stripes down their backs, "eyeliner." Not all EEs look like this (they are mutts, after all, and I've seen all yellow or all blue EE babies) but those puffy cheeks, pea combs, and striped backs are classic EE. Can't see the legs in the photo, but another classic sign of EE is willow colored legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by