What are these? TSC said Bantams but they lie sometimes

Studabird

Songster
May 8, 2020
Southwest Louisiana
A23C6378-DBB1-466B-8E40-7EED571981A6.jpeg

"Easter Eggers" is a general term for any chickens that lay blue or green eggs.

Ameraucana is a specific breed of chicken that lays blue or green eggs, and has cheek feathers (muff/beard).

Araucana is a different specific breed of chicken that lays blue eggs, has a different style of cheek feathers (ear tufts), and has no tail.

Easter Eggers often look sort-of like Ameraucanas, but sometimes they don't.

Hatcheries care more about having the birds lay lots of eggs than about the appearance. And most people buying them just want a pretty chicken that lays colored eggs. The hatcheries often label them as "Ameraucana" or "Araucana" or various mis-spellings of either of those.
You are awesome. Thank you

Maybe Rhode Island Red, which should have yellow legs--but wrongly colored legs do occasionally happen in hatchery chickens.

Dark legs are often found on Easter Eggers, which can have any color of feathers, so you might have one of those.

Maybe Rhode Island Red, which should have yellow legs--but wrongly colored legs do occasionally happen in hatchery chickens.

Dark legs are often found on Easter Eggers, which can have any color of feathers, so you might have one of those.
Forgive my newbie ignorance but I thought EE’s had cheek feathers. Which these don’t have. I would love some EE’s. And I love these birds regardless of what they are. Thanks again!!!

"Easter Eggers" is a general term for any chickens that lay blue or green eggs.

Ameraucana is a specific breed of chicken that lays blue or green eggs, and has cheek feathers (muff/beard).

Araucana is a different specific breed of chicken that lays blue eggs, has a different style of cheek feathers (ear tufts), and has no tail.

Easter Eggers often look sort-of like Ameraucanas, but sometimes they don't.

Hatcheries care more about having the birds lay lots of eggs than about the appearance. And most people buying them just want a pretty chicken that lays colored eggs. The hatcheries often label them as "Ameraucana" or "Araucana" or various mis-spellings of either of those.

Back
Top Bottom