What are these two? My daughter brought them home from school

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by loghomehenhouse, Aug 4, 2013.

1. loghomehenhouse

loghomehenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    My daughter brought these two home from a hatching project in school, her teacher thought they were hens, I'm not so sure! I think I've got both roos, and a white leghorn and a rose combed brown leghorn?

What do you think?

(picture was taken when they snuck into the basement where the brooder used to be, apparently they wanted to stay little) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    The brown one looks like an easter egger rooster. The white one may be a leghorn cross, could you get a full body photo of it?

3. loghomehenhouse

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    Sure, here is another the same day.

[​IMG]

4. Tricoglossus

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    I am still thinking leghorn, and it's probably a pullet. Do you know how old they are?

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both are definitely roosters. The brownish one is an Easter Egger, and the white one appears to be a white leghorn.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Agree, looks like a pretty EE roo and a leghorn pullet. Smart chickens, who needs a coop when you can live in the house, I take it this is how you wind up with house chickens?

7. Tricoglossus

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    What makes you think the leghorn is a rooster? The pullets of this breed do get large red combs and wattles when quite young.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  8. loghomehenhouse

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    We had a Bl. Australorp that got herself caught in a fence, so we brought her in the house (dining room LOL) to heal, we put her back with the flock and she was accepted no problem, but now at bedtime instead of going to her own space, she comes to the door begging and pecking to come inside. hey are no dummies!

9. loghomehenhouse

Aug 2, 2013
    NH

They are just shy of 4mos

10. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I see a EE cockerel and a white leghorn pullet. Nothing about the leghorn says rooster so far. They get big red combs and wattles at a young age and the body shape looks female. :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by