1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are these two?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kellychick, Aug 22, 2013.

1. kellychick

kellychick New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Aberdeenshire Scotland
    Can you tell me what breed these two are? I think the stripey is a Plymouth Rock as she has yellow skin and light brown eggs. I was sold the other one as a copper blue maran but I don't think she's and the woman didn't have much idea?! Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks [​IMG]

2. GreenEggsNSpam

GreenEggsNSpam Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Edelstein, IL
    Your striped one is a Dominique for certain. You can tell them apart from Barred Rocks by their comb. Dominiques have rose-combs, like yours does. Barred Rocks have single-combs that stand straight up.

Your brown bird is a little more uncertain to me, but my best guess would be she's a Partridge Penedesenca. She doesn't look like a Maran of any kind to me, personally.

3. kellychick

kellychick New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Aberdeenshire Scotland
    It's not a rose comb, just looks like it in the pic. I wouldn't of taken her if she had a rose comb as don't like them. Thanks anyway :)

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Your barred bird looks like a Rock, for sure.

Your other one is not a blue copper Marans, and I don't think it's any kind of Marans at all (unless a mix). Sorry I don't know what she is, only what she isn't.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Barred rock and probably a mixed breed hen.

6. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    The one in the front is a Barred Plymouth Rock. The one in the back is a Easter Egger.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You have a Barred Plymouth Rock and a mixed breed hen.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The striped hen is not a Rock, those have straight combs. She's a Dominique.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I though that too, but Kellychick said that it was just the angle of the picture, and that it was actually a single comb.

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Oops! Sorry my eyes skipped right over that one. :p

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by