What are these? update on pg 2

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jennyhaschicks, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Ok. With the 3 chicks I am going to post pics of I am almost 100% the only roo they had on the farm was a RIR. The hens as far as I know were RIRs, SLW, and either red or black sex links. I can't remember which.
    Is this guy/girl? a RIR?-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok the next one- the red one is the one I am focusing on Guy/girl?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How about this chicken too?-guy/girl?
    [​IMG]

What are they? Any advice at all would be helpful [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  2. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I'm definately no expert, but the first looks like a RIR roo to me. The second looks like one of my RIR roos also with those thick legs and comb/ waddles. The third I don't know. No experience with the breed.

3. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    No, no. Don't say roo. I am in denial if that is so. [​IMG]

No I really want the truth. I can take it.

4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    jenny,
    how old are they? Both of the red ones have bigger combs and waddles than my RIR (she's almost 12 weeks). The last pic looks a bit like a brahma mix, no foot feathering, but the coloring is close. I would almost say they all look like roos....but I'm not very good at sexing so don't panic....that's just my guess. It will be interesting to see what others say. Beautiful birds by the way!
    [​IMG]

5. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Ok Lori let's see here.... they are all almost 8 weeks old. The last one is kinda acting funny lately. "It" is always sparring with everyone! It's a non stop thing. [​IMG]

Thanks for the comments. I think they are beautiful as well.

6. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    The R.I.Red and the Columbian colored chick are both cockerels....

7. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Oh boy. It figures. The only three out of 11 that hatched and they might be all cockerels. This kinda stinks. I love 'em all.

8. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Does the last guy have a different comb than the others? I am not up to the types of combs. I'm sorry. His comb seems to flop over to the side too not like my others combs.
    Anyone else want to put in some advice? I would gladly accept it. [​IMG]

9. chickenlover98

chickenlover98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Hogwarts
    Do you know what breed the white chicken is in the bottom picture? If you know can you tell me? -Thanks!

10. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I honestly have NO idea. I was hoping someone here may have some advice. I only know that the roo was a RIR. I am almost sure that was the only roo on the farm. The hens were RIRs, SLW or either black sex links or red sex links. I have no idea what we got here. I am thinking he is a cross between the RIR and a SLW since he is laced? Is there anyone that agrees?? Either way I am sure he is a cock. He is starting to act like one although he has not started crowing yet. Whatever he is I think he is a beautiful boy.
    Anyone else have advice for me?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by